Five men and teenager deny murdering man at Kerry cemetery

It is anticipated that the empanelling of the jury will not be finalised until Tuesday, June 4
Five men and teenager deny murdering man at Kerry cemetery

Thomas Dooley who was fatally wounded at an incident at Rath Cemetery in Tralee during a funeral service. Picture via Facebook

Five men and one teenager have pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to the murder of 43-year-old Tom Dooley at a funeral at Rath Cemetery in Tralee.

The judge at the Central Criminal Court sitting in Cork advised those called for jury service that the case could go on until the end of July. Ms Justice Mary Ellen Ring told members of the jury panel that she understood that June and July are popular times for pre-arranged family holidays and that any difficulties they may have should be brought to her attention if selected to be sworn as a juror. 

Numerous people — called as potential jurors — then indicated in private conversations with the judge in court that they would not be available for the required period and they were excused. There were objections to other potential jurors from lawyers who can do so a number of times without specifying the reason. 

It is anticipated that the empanelling of the jury will not be finalised until Tuesday, June 4. So far, six men and one woman have been sworn in to hear the case.

The judge said at the outset that each of the six accused faces the same charge. Ms Justice Ring said: “The charge they face is one of murder on October 5, 2022, at Rath cemetery in Tralee, County Kerry. Those are the significant issues that you will hear about.

"One of the first witnesses is Siobhán Dooley, also known as Bernadette Siobhán Dooley. She was McDonagh before she married Mr Dooley. She is originally from Tullamore and she is now of Hazelwood Drive, Killarney.” 

The defendants were arraigned individually and each one replied not guilty to the murder of 43-year-old Tom Dooley from Hazelwood Drive, Killarney, at New Rath Cemetery, Rathass, Tralee, on October 5, 2022.

Five defendants in the case — all with the surname Dooley — Patrick, 36, from Arbutus Grove, Killarney; Thomas, 43, from the halting site, Carrigrohane Road; Thomas Jnr, 21, from the halting site, Carrigrohane, Cork; Michael, 29, of the halting site, Carrigrohane, Cork, and Daniel, 42, of An Carraigin, Connolly Park, Tralee, County Kerry, face trial, as does the sixth defendant who is a teenager.

Only 21-year-old Thomas Dooley Jnr faces the second charge that he intentionally or recklessly caused serious harm to Siobhán Dooley. There was also a not guilty plea in respect of this count.

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited