Landlord, 71, accused of sexually assaulting tenant in Ennis

The alleged offence on October 1 last year and the court heard that they are both still living in the same building
Landlord, 71, accused of sexually assaulting tenant in Ennis

The judge remanded the accused on continuing bail to December 14 for hearing. File picture

A 71-year-old landlord has appeared in court charged with the sexual assault of his tenant last year.

At Ennis District Court, the pensioner was charged with the alleged sexual assault offence on October 1, 2022. The alleged victim in the case is a 26-year-old man.

Solicitor, John Casey, for the accused told Judge Alec Gabbett his client is contesting the case and requested a hearing date. The landlord and tenant lived in the same building at the time of the alleged offence.

Judge Gabbett asked Mr Casey: “They are hardly still living together?” In response, Mr Casey said “they are”. 

Judge Gabbett imposed reporting restrictions on the identity of the accused and alleged victim in the case.

Sgt Louis Moloney said that the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed that the case be heard in the district court. After hearing an outline of the facts in the case against the accused, Judge Gabbett said that he would hear the case in the district court. 

Outlining the State case, Sgt Moloney said the alleged victim made a formal complaint at Ennis Garda Station on October 1 that he was in his bedroom earlier and was the subject of a sexual assault by his landlord.

Sgt Moloney said the alleged victim claims the defendant entered his bedroom and said "I love you and I want to have sex with you” and the alleged victim replied: "I don’t want anything sexual with you”.

The sergeant said the alleged victim will claim that the 71-year-old man remained on the bed “and started touching his penis”. 

Sgt Moloney said the alleged victim asked: "What are you doing?” and the older man replied: ‘Because I like it”.

Sgt Moloney added: “The injured party further alleged that the defendant tried to pull down his pants and told him to stop and that he would call gardaí.” 

Sgt Moloney said the alleged injured party “alleged that his penis was touched a second time and he then went to Ennis Garda station and also called 999”.

The judge remanded the accused on continuing bail to December 14 for hearing.

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited