Judge remands two men in custody charged with murder of homeless man Timmy Hourihane
Two men have appeared before Cork District Court charged with the murder of a homeless man who was found dead at Mardyke Walk in the city last year.
James Brady (aged 26) of Shannon Lawn, Mayfield on the north side of Cork city and Christy O’Sullivan (aged 37) of no fixed abode were charged with the murder of Timmy Hourihane on October 13, 2019.
Mr O’Sullivan faces an additional charge of criminal damage to a tent on the same date.
Detective Garda Oisin Cotter gave evidence of the arrest charge and caution of Mr O’Sullivan. He said the defendant made no reply when the charges were put to him under caution.
Garda Lorna Healy gave evidence of the arrest, charge and caution of Mr Brady. Mr Brady also made no reply when the charge was put to him following under caution.
Gardaí indicated that the DPP had directed that both men be tried by indictment at the Central Criminal Court. No bail applications were made at this juncture.
Judge Marie Keane granted free legal aid to both men. She said she didn’t have the jurisdiction to hear bail applications in the case.
Both men were remanded in custody to appear in court by video link next Friday. Books of evidence will be prepared in the interim.

Mr Hourihane (aged 53) was a native of Kilcrohane in Bantry in West Cork. He worked for a period for the Hilton Hotel chain in the UK having trained as a chef.
The father of one had been sleeping in a “tented village” in the Mardyke near UCC. He was found unconscious and with injuries next to his tent on October 13 last year. He passed away at Cork University Hospital.
In an interview on Christmas Day 2017, while eating his Christmas meal at Penny Dinners in Hanover St in Cork city, Mr Hourihane said he had a feeling of immense gratitude for the blessings of the day. He spoke of his delight in simple pleasures such as going to Mass. He said it was important to try and acquire a black sense of humour while living on the streets.
Mr Hourihane had presented to homeless services in the city on a number of occasions. Cork City Council, in a statement after his death, said he had been granted a permanent social housing tenancy with the necessary housing supports, by agencies helping people to move on from homelessness. However, he did not take up this offer, but remained in contact with the Cork Simon outreach team.
Mr Hourihane is survived by his mother Cathy, 83, his brother Denis, sisters Annemarie, Catherine, Nuala, and Margaret, and his son, Elliott, 23, who lives in the UK.




