Cork Airport primed for transatlantic flights if Ireland reach World Cup
Cork Airport is exploring long-haul travel as part of its growth strategy to 5m passengers annually, with Boston, New York, and Toronto target destinations.
Try from €1.50 / week
SUBSCRIBECork Airport is primed for charter planes to bring football fans on direct long-haul flights to the World Cup in Mexico and the US if Ireland can negotiate the play-offs and reach the summer showpiece.
The airport, which is driving on with a €200m capital investment programme, is exploring long-haul travel as part of its growth strategy to 5m passengers annually, with Boston, New York, and Toronto target destinations for a permanent transatlantic service.
In the shorter-term, direct services to the American continent could take fans to the World Cup if there is interest from airlines.
If Ireland reach the World Cup, they will face South Korea in Guadalajara on June 11, South Africa in Atlanta on June 18, and hosts Mexico in Mexico City on June 25.
“There will be capacity for large jets leaving from Cork for Mexico or for Atlanta,” said Cork Airport general manager Niall MacCarthy.
“We have the infrastructure available, but the airlines decide what routes they’re running. We’ll take any business that airlines want to do where there’s a market — but they determine the market.”
Ireland currently has year-round transatlantic services to the US while Aer Lingus started a flight from Dublin to Mexico last month, continuing until April.
The last permanent transatlantic service from Cork — operated by Norwegian, flying to Boston Providence — ceased in 2019.
Mr MacCarthy said Boston, New York, and Toroto were “specific targets” for Cork.
“I’d hope to have one of those three, at least, in the next five years.”
Mr MacCarthy said the €200m airport development plan is “on time and on budget”.
Off the back of its busiest year in the airport’s history carrying 3.46m passengers in 2025, a new €1.4m airbridge will be operational by the end of the month while key early elements of the capital development project already delivered include the new oversize baggage screening facility, the new Gate 19 staff and goods security screening, and enhanced executive lounge facilities.
Concrete has been poured on the impressive new mezzanine level extending over the existing arrivals area and which will feature a larger passenger security area. That will be up and running before the end of the year.
Mr MacCarthy said that as the airport development continues at pace, infrastructure and services around the airport must also adapt to demand.
“During our busiest period between 4am and 5.30am, there’s no public buses. We need 24-hour bus services for Cork Airport," he said.
"We need the N27 Kinsale to Cork Road widened and a bus lane all the way into the city.
"We need to safeguard now for a future Luas to Cork Airport. There’s universal public demand long term for a Luas connection to Cork Airport, as shown by the consultation feedback.
“Let’s start mapping out for a Luas now so things don’t change and we ‘never-never’ the project. That’s the key.”
CONNECT WITH US TODAY
Be the first to know the latest news and updates
Newsletter
Keep up with stories of the day with our lunchtime news wrap and important breaking news alerts.

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox
Friday, February 20, 2026 - 8:00 PM
Friday, February 20, 2026 - 9:00 AM
Friday, February 20, 2026 - 12:00 PM
© Examiner Echo Group Limited