Government to introduce social media ban for under-16s in online safety push
In December, communications minister Patrick OâDonovan confirmed a pilot project would be launched this year to develop a âtrusted age verification toolâ through the Governmentâs digital wallet. File picture
The Government will announce plans on Wednesday to introduce a social media ban for under 16s as part of a clampdown on online safety.
Ministers will be told that while Ireland would like to work with the EU to introduce bloc-wide restrictions, the Government is also prepared to act unilaterally if needed.
While several ministers, including TĂĄnaiste Simon Harris, have repeatedly suggested they would like to see Irish youths restricted from using social media, this will be the strongest commitment yet to implement an outright ban.
At this afternoonâs Cabinet meeting, ministers will consider a new digital and AI strategy, which is understood to contain a focus on online safety.
The Irish Examiner understands the plan will confirm Irelandâs intention to introduce legislation to restrict social media for under-16s.
The plan will say this will be a priority when Ireland assumes the European presidency in the second half of this year.
Ministers will be told that while the Governmentâs preference is for a move on a youth social media ban to happen at a European level, the Irish Government will take action regardless.
A pilot of an age verification tool will take place in the first half of this year, with young people involved in the trial to assess how it will work in practice.
Ireland will become the latest EU country to introduce a minimum age requirement for social media. Last month, Franceâs National Assembly backed legislation to ban children under 15 from social media, with Greece expected to follow suit. Spain, meanwhile, announced plans for a similar ban for under-16s.
In December, communications minister Patrick OâDonovan confirmed a pilot project would be launched this year to develop a âtrusted age verification toolâ through the Governmentâs digital wallet.
It was envisaged that 2,000 young people, both under and over the age of 18, would take part in this pilot, which would send confirmation from the digital wallet to the social media platform that the user was old enough to use the platform.
Australia became the first country in the world to implement an all-out youth social media ban late last year.
Last week, Taoiseach MicheĂĄl Martin told the Irish Examiner that the Government is monitoring what is happening in Australia.
We keep everything under review in terms of a ban," he said.
Itâs happening in Australia, so weâll see how that is manifesting itself.
Mr Harris, meanwhile, expressed fears that Irish children are ânot safe on the internetâ, arguing he is not willing to âsit idly byâ and wait for the European Commission to introduce legislation.Â
He also argued the introduction of a minimum age is ânot radicalâ, noting that restrictions exist for smoking, drinking, and voting.
Elsewhere, the digital and AI strategy being discussed by ministers at Cabinet will also confirm the need to keep legislation under review to address the advent of AI and technologies as tools that are being used to âintimidate or harass individualsâ.
It is understood the Government will engage with the European Commission to ensure that the list of prohibited practices under Article 5 of the EU AI Act remains fit for purpose in the context of growing capabilities of AI. Article 5 dictates which AI practices can be prohibited.
The Government will also support CoimisiĂșn na MeĂĄn in creating an information campaign to increase awareness about how to report harmful and illegal content, as well as the role of CoimisiĂșn na MeĂĄn in relation to online safety.
This comes weeks after the Grok nudification scandal, which saw Xâs AI chatbot responding to usersâ requests to create sexually explicit images of women and children without consent.
The Data Protection Commission confirmed yesterday it has opened a âlarge-scale inquiry which will examine Xâs compliance with some of their fundamental obligations under the GDPR in relation to the matters at handâ.
Louise Burne is Political Correspondent.

Subscribe to access all of the Irish Examiner.
Try unlimited access from only âŹ1.50 a week
Already a subscriber? Sign in
CONNECT WITH US TODAY
Be the first to know the latest news and updates



