Government rollback means short-term let restrictions will only apply to towns of more than 20,000 people

Government rollback means short-term let restrictions will only apply to towns of more than 20,000 people

Kenmare: Concerns about the original plans had been raised by Kerry TDs Norma Foley and Michael Healy-Rae.

The Government is rowing back on proposals to strictly regulate Airbnb-style short-term lets to free up rental accommodation, with restrictions now set to apply to towns with a population of more than 20,000.

Enterprise Minister Peter Burke confirmed the change had been agreed by Government leaders on Monday night, saying the Coalition needed to be “cognisant” of tourism towns that have low hotel capacity.

Under the original plans, restrictions on short-term lets were due to apply to any town with a population of 10,000 or more.

But now, the new rules will only prevent homeowners from renting out properties on a short-term basis for more than 90 days a year if they live in a town with a population greater than 20,000.

Concerns about the original plans had been raised by Kerry TDs Norma Foley and Michael Healy-Rae.

Speaking on his way into Cabinet, Mr Burke denied the changes had come amid lobbying from Ms Foley and Mr Healy-Rae.

“I’ve been working across the tourism sector for the last number of months and, first of all, they need certainty.

Secondly, we have to be very cognisant and understanding that there are a number of areas right across the country that do not have the capacity in hotel accommodation.

Mr Burke said it was important to “keep rural tourism alive” and he was seeking to strike a balance, saying more than half of short term lets were in the five cities.

“Whether you’re looking at the Wild Atlantic Way, the western seaboard, Leitrim, or Roscommon, smaller areas that have a lot of tourist attractions but the [hotel] capacity isn’t there.”

Mr Burke said the timeframe for the introduction of the new rules was still this May.

Despite Mr Burke insisting changes were not made due to internal pressures, Mr Healy-Rae claimed credit for the policy change.

In a post on social media, Mr Healy-Rae said he had been “working hard at Government level” to ensure the rules on short term lets were fair.

“This change shows why it matters to have strong rural Independent voices at the Government table to make sure national policies are shaped by lived experience, not just theory.”

The change has been criticised by Social Democrats housing spokesperson Rory Hearne, who described it as a “slap in the face” for renters.

“This capitulation is further evidence that this Government’s priorities lie with landlords over renters,” Mr Hearne said.

x

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Keep up with stories of the day with our lunchtime news wrap and important breaking news alerts.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited