Two children and woman killed in shooting in Co Fermanagh while man remains in hospital

Two children and woman killed in shooting in Co Fermanagh while man remains in hospital

The scene of the shooting incident that occurred in the Drummeer Road area of Maguiresbridge, Co Fermanagh. Picture: Oliver McVeigh /PA Wire

Two children and a woman have died in a shooting in Co Fermanagh, police have confirmed.

A fourth person, a man, remains in a serious condition in hospital.

Superintendent Robert McGowan confirmed that all four people suffered gun shot wounds.

Police said the incident happened in the Drummeer Road area of Maguiresbridge, and that officers were at the scene which had been cordoned off.

Speaking in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh, Superintendent McGowan said that two people were pronounced dead at the scene while a third person died in hospital on Wednesday afternoon.

The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) said they received a 999 call at 8.21am on Wednesday, and dispatched three emergency ambulances, one rapid response paramedic, two ambulance officers and an ambulance doctor to the scene.

Superintendent McGowan said: “Earlier this morning police received a report of an incident in Maguiresbridge.

“Officers, along with their colleagues in the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service, attended a house in the Drummeer Road area.

“Tragically, despite best medical efforts, two people were pronounced dead at the scene. Sadly, I can confirm that a third person has this afternoon passed away in hospital.

“The fourth person, who was taken to hospital, remains in a condition described as serious.

“All four had sustained gun shot wounds and I can confirm that all four individuals are from the same household.

“I am keen first and foremost to express my sympathy to the family members and loved ones who are today left in total shock and who will struggle to come to terms with their unimaginable loss.

“Detectives have now commenced a murder investigation and are working at pace to determine the circumstances.

“This is a quiet rural location and I’m aware that this tragic event will have sent shockwaves of sadness throughout the community.” Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Hilary Benn said: “The news from Maguiresbridge is tragic and deeply distressing.

“My thoughts are with the victims, their relatives and the local community in Fermanagh.

“I would urge the public not to speculate and to allow the PSNI to continue their investigation.”

Fermanagh and South Tyrone MP Pat Cullen expressed her deep shock.

“Firstly my thoughts are with the victims and their families at this tragic time,” the Sinn Féin representative said.

“I am in contact with the police around this ongoing situation.

“Police are currently at the scene of an incident outside Maguiresbridge and there are a number of road closures while they carry out their investigations.

“I would urge people to not speculate on the details of this tragic and shocking incident.” 

DUP MLA Deborah Erskine described a truly shocking incident which has “stunned the entire community”.

“The area of Maguiresbridge where this has happened is a rural, quiet area and everyone is deeply affected by what has happened this morning,” she said.

“My deepest condolences are with the families of those who have been killed as a result of this incident. Their lives have been turned upside down this morning.

“This morning I was speaking to police dealing with the incident. I paid tribute to the emergency services at the scene. I also appeal for privacy to allow the PSNI to carry out their investigations.”

x

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited