The State has been allowed two weeks to complete the book of evidence in the case of a teenager who allegedly shot two men during rioting at Dublin's Smithfield horse fair in March.
The boy (aged 17), who cannot be identified because he is a juvenile, had been remanded in custody earlier after he was charged at the Dublin Children's Court with violent disorder and unlawful possession of an “improvised firearm” in connection with the non-fatal shooting on March 6 last.
He made his seventh court appearance today where Judge Ann Ryan was told by State solicitor Joanne Gleeson that the book of evidence would be completed in two weeks.
Judge Ryan remanded the boy in custody further to appear again on June 28 next.
Earlier it had been held that the case was too serious to be dealt with in the Children's Court and should be sent to the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.
In an outline of the evidence, Garda Colm Kelly had told Judge Ryan that “it is alleged that he had an improvised firearm in his possession; he discharged this firearm at two males hitting both of them”.
Garda Kelly had said they were hospitalised and it was alleged that the boy then “attacked a number of people with a stick.”
The court had heard that another man suffered a serious wound to his upper left arm and while the teenager did not injure him, he allegedly “played a part in the violence that surrounded it”.
Two men were wounded after being shot in the hip and leg and another male was injured from a slash hook at the monthly market in the city centre which was attended by up to 4,500 horse traders and spectators.
The youth, had been arrested in Dundalk, Co Louth on March 26 last, and was the third person to be charged in connection with the violence during the horse fair.