Boy admits causing €10,000 of damage to dumper truck

A 16-year-old boy has admitted causing €10,000 worth of damages to a dumper truck during an arson.

A 16-year-old boy has admitted causing €10,000 worth of damages to a dumper truck during an arson.

The boy pleaded guilty at the Children's Court today to causing criminal damage by arson of a Bedford Site dumper, on July 13 last year, at Sweetmount Avenue, in Dundrum in Dublin.

Judge Ann Ryan heard that the boy, who had no prior criminal convictions, had been at a party beforehand.

A taxi driver had told gardaí that the construction site vehicle, which was worth €20,000, had been set on fire.

Gardaí located the boy who was intoxicated and he agreed he had started a fire “and produced a lighter”.

The boy made a statement later and apologised for his actions. Some €10,000 worth of damages were caused to the dumper truck.

Defence solicitor Gareth Noble said the boy, who was accompanied to his case by his mother, is taking part in an educational course. He has started going to counselling since the incident and had not been in trouble before or since the fire, the court heard.

Judge Ann Ryan remanded the boy to appear again next month for a probation report on him to be furnished to the court.

More in this section

Lunchtime News Wrap

A lunchtime summary of content highlights on the Irish Examiner website. Delivered at 1pm each day.

Sign up