Kennedy and councillors sent for trial

Businessman Jim Kennedy, who is accused of numerous counts of corrupt payments to politicians, was served with a book of evidence today and sent forward for trial before a judge and jury.

Businessman Jim Kennedy, who is accused of numerous counts of corrupt payments to politicians, was served with a book of evidence today and sent forward for trial before a judge and jury.

The charges relate to the attempted rezoning of land owned by Jackson Way Properties at Carrickmines in 1992, and the successful rezoning of part of these lands in 1997.

Three former politicians and one independent councillor were also served with books of evidence at Dublin District Court.

Mr Kennedy, who faces 16 charges, had been remanded in custody last Friday with consent to bail of €30,000 in his own bond and with an independent surety of €50,000.

Bail was later been taken up by Mr Kennedy, who appeared again at the district court today.

Judge Patrick McMahon was told by state solicitor Catherine Irvine that the DPP has consented to the defendant being returned for “trial on indictment” meaning the case is to be heard before a judge and jury at the Circuit Court.

Mr Kennedy, who was accompanied to his case by his wife Antoinette and several family members, was served with a book of evidence by a Criminal Assets Bureau detective.

He spoke briefly during the case when Judge McMahon asked him if he understood the meaning of an alibi at which the businessman, after a pause, replied “Mmm.”

The judge then explained its meaning and informed him that if it was his intention to use an alibi as part of his defence he must notify the prosecution within 14 days.

Mr Kennedy, who was wearing a dark suit and a sky blue tie, then said “Yes I understand” and the judge then made an order sending him forward for trial at the present sittings of the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Mr Kennedy's charges include allegations of payments to: former Dublin County Councillor Sean Gillbride, at the offices of former Government press secretary and lobbyist Frank Dunlop, in Upper Mount Street, Dublin 2, on June 11, 1992; former Dublin County Councillor Jack Larkin, at Conway's Public House, Parnell Street, Dublin; former Dublin County Councillor Tom Hand on May 4, 1992, at the reception area of Dublin County Council as well as former Dublin County Councillor Liam Cosgrave, on a date between June 12 and June 29, 1992.

As part of his bail terms he must reside at Apartment 5, Floor 4 of The Four Seasons Hotel, in Ballsbridge, in Dublin and sign on daily at Donnybrook Garda station.

Three former politicians and a councillor charged with taking bribes to vote for rezoning of lands in Carrickmines in Dublin in the 1990's, were also served with books of evidence and sent forward for trial before a judge and jury.

The DPP had directed “trial on indictment” meaning their trials are also to be heard before a judge and jury.

Today at Dublin District Court, the four, who had their cases called separately were each served with books of evidence.

They were notified that if they intended to rely on an alibi they must notify the State within 14 days.

Their cases were also sent forward for trial at the present sittings of the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Former Fine Gael councillor, TD and senator, Liam T Cosgrave (aged 54) with an address at Merrion Park, in Blackrock, in south Dublin faces five charges.

The son of former Taoiseach Liam Cosgrave, he had a 23-year political career, and had replied “not guilty” when the charges were first put to him last Tuesday afternoon last.

It is alleged he received sums as an “ inducement” or “reward” on a date between June 12 and June 29, 1992, December 23, 1997, at Buswells Hotel, and on October 30, 1997 at the Davenport hotel.

Former Fianna Fáil councillor Colm McGrath (aged 54), from Swiftford, Saggart, Dublin, allegedly received a sum at his office in Clondalkin, between June 12 and June 29, 1992.

Former Fianna Fáil senator and councillor Don Lydon (aged 82), of San Antonio, Stillorgan Park Avenue, Dublin, allegedly received a sum at St John of Gods in Dublin, on May 4, 1992.

Independent councillor Tony Fox (aged 70) of Mountainview Park, Churchtown, Dublin 14, allegedly received sums on October 30, 1997, as well as on a date between October 30, 1997 and December 25, 1997 and on a date between June 12 and June 29, 1992.

Former Fianna Fáil councillor Sean Gillbride (aged 69) of 18 Greenlawns, Skerries, Dublin allegedly received a sum at the offices of Frank Dunlop on a date between June 11 and June 29, 1992.

He was remanded in his absence to appear again on November 18 next after Judge Patrick McMahon heard that he had been taken into hospital on Thursday.

More in this section