Three convicted in 'tiger' kidnapping trial

Three men have been convicted of carrying out a €2.28m “tiger kidnapping” robbery four years ago.

Three men have been convicted of carrying out a €2.28m “tiger kidnapping” robbery four years ago.

The three were found guilty following a 66-day trial at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court by a jury which also failed to agree on verdicts in the cases of two other men.

The three convicted men who have been remanded in custody by Judge Tony Hunt for sentence later are: Christopher Corcoran (aged 61), of Bayside Boulevard North, Sutton; Mark Farrelly (aged 37), of Moatview Court, Priorswood; and Jason Kavanagh (aged 34), of Parslickstown Court, Ladyswell.

The jury failed to reach a verdict on the charges against David Byrne (aged 36) of Old Brazeel Way, Knocksedan, Swords and Niall Byrne (aged 27), of Aughavanagh Road, Crumlin.

They had denied robbing €2.28m from Mr Paul Richardson and Securicor and had also pleaded not guilty to falsely imprisoning members of the Richardson family - Mrs Marie Richardson and her sons, Ian (then aged 17) and Kevin (then aged 13) - on March 13 and 14, 2005.

Judge Hunt thanked the jury of seven men and four women for their work on what has become the longest-running criminal trial in the history of the State and complimented them for the long hours they put into reaching verdicts. The jury had deliberated for 22 hours over three days.

Prosecuting counsel, Mr Denis Vaughan Buckley SC (with Mr Dominic McGinn BL), asked for the men to be remanded in custody pending sentence in November.

Most of the hearing was held in Blanchardstown Courthourse and some 260 witnesses were listed to give evidence.

The trial revolved around three main points of evidence, DNA tests, CCTV footage and mobile phone tracking.

Detective Inspector Martin Mooney told Mr McGinn that using call trace data from service providers he was able to draw up charts showing the times, duration and general location of many mobile phone calls between a small group of numbers during the course of the robbery. Most of them lasted well under a minute.

Det Insp Mooney said each call had to be routed through a particular mobile phone mast and whichever mast was used showed the general area of the caller.

The records showed several of the callers moving location rapidly and frequently throughout the night and early morning in locations that included Raheny, the Malahide Road, Baldoyle, Coolock, and Chapelizod as well as many others.

Following the verdict an emotional Mr Richardson stood outside court with his family and told of the trauma they had faced since the kidnapping.

"It's been a very traumatic time for over four years for my wife, my two sons and myself", he told reporters.

"I'd just liked to say a big thank you to the jury in this case, to the legal teams, the gardaí and to our friends, who have been with us through thick and thin with this. It's been hard."

He said that he believed justice had been served. Asked if they would ever get over the experience, his wife Marie repied, "We have to move on. It has brought closure there has been a sense of relief. It's over, we can hopefully move on.

More in this section

Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.

Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence