Spaniard faces extradition from North on terrorist charges

A Spaniard running a tourism business in the North is wanted in his homeland for alleged terrorism offences, a court was told today.

A Spaniard running a tourism business in the North is wanted in his homeland for alleged terrorism offences, a court was told today.

Arturo Arteaga (aged 32) appeared in court after being arrested in west Belfast in the early morning under a European warrant.

No details of his alleged offences were revealed during the brief hearing at Belfast’s Laganside Court before Recorder Tom Burgess.

A defence barrister told the judge his client would be fighting the extradition .

He said he had been in the North for the last three or four years and had established a tourism business.

A flyer advertising the business was shown to the judge who agreed to grant bail under tight conditions.

Arteaga, who appeared in the dock handcuffed to a court guard, made no comment during the hearing.

He declined the services of an interpreter because, his lawyer said, his English was good enough.

A prosecution lawyer set out conditions of bail to be a curfew from 8pm to 7am, that he live at his address at Nansen Street off the Falls Road, report to the police daily, provide £500 (€560) in his own recognisance and a cash surety of £5,000 (€5,600), remain in the North's jurisdiction, surrender his passport and any national ID card.

When the defence asked for the curfew to start at 10pm so he could continue his business, the prosecutor said he knew of no business and that Arteaga was claiming benefits.

Mr Burgess said he would make “a classic lawyer’s compromise” and set a 9pm curfew time – adding the question of claiming benefits while working was not an issue for him.

The case was adjourned until May 13 at which time, the judge said, he hoped to set a date for a full extradition hearing.

More in this section

Lunchtime News Wrap

A lunchtime summary of content highlights on the Irish Examiner website. Delivered at 1pm each day.

Sign up