Case against school arson teen dropped

A prosecution brought against youth accused of taking part in an arson attack on a Dublin primary school which was extensively damaged by fire in November 2007 was withdrawn today.

A prosecution brought against youth accused of taking part in an arson attack on a Dublin primary school which was extensively damaged by fire in November 2007 was withdrawn today.

The teenager had been charged at the Children’s Court with causing criminal damage by fire, to St Mary’s Junior National School, in Kilbarrack, Dublin 5, on November 4, 2007, when he was aged 16.

Directions from the DPP had been sought in relation to whether the case should be kept in the Children’s Court or instead be sent forward to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which on conviction has greater sentencing powers.

However, earlier this month, defence solicitor Emer O’Sullivan had told Judge Ann Ryan that she had furnished the DPP’s office with psychological reports on the accused’s mental state.

Today, she told Judge Ryan that the case was now back before the court to be informed if the State had reconsidered whether the prosecution is to proceed.

State’s solicitor Mr Ronan Cleary told Judge Ryan that he had received directions “to withdraw and strike out all matters.”

Judge Ryan struck out the charge against the boy, who was accompanied to court by his father.

More in this section