A teenage boy, who was found guilty of assaulting a female garda after he began making “rude gestures”, has been remanded on continuing bail pending sentence at the Dublin Children’s Court.
After a hearing of the case earlier, the 16-year-old boy had been found guilty of assaulting Garda Melissa Kelly, at Kill Abbey, in Deansgrange, Dublin, in the early hours of March 15 last year.
He had been remanded on bail pending sentence until today to allow time for a probation report to be obtained.
Judge Ann Ryan adjourned the case until March noting that the Probation Service was seeking further time to see the boy and to then compile a pre-sentence report.
In evidence, Garda Kelly had told the court during a hearing on November 18 last that the patrol car she was travelling in passed the teenager and another boy.
“I saw him making rude gestures with his fingers,” she had said, adding that the patrol car turned around, at which the teens fled.
She had told the court that the boy ran into a garden and hid behind a car. She cautioned him to come out at which point she said she went to arrest him. “He struck out at me with his fist and collided with my chin,” she had alleged.
She denied when questioned by defence solicitor Mr Garreth Noble that she had not been hit but that the boy had fled from her.
The teenager denied hitting the garda but admitted that he ran when the patrol van came after him and another youth and fled again when the garda was speaking to him.
The second youth gave evidence claiming that he had also been hiding in the garden where the defendant had been and also said he did not see his friend hit the garda.
However, the boy, who is taking part in a training course, was found guilty and with the court hearing that he did not have any previous convictions.