Taoiseach calls for North referendum in March

TheGovernment will make a decision on whether to hold a referendum on the St Andrew’s Agreement after Northern Ireland parties agree a position on the issue, it emerged tonight.

The Government will make a decision on whether to hold a referendum on the St Andrew’s Agreement after Northern Ireland parties agree a position on the issue, it emerged tonight.

According to last week’s devolution timetable announced by the Irish and British governments, a proposed power-sharing deal must be endorsed by the electorate by either an election or a referendum in March.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said in Scotland that he favoured a referendum in March.

However Fine Gael has rejected the suggestion because it said the Good Friday Agreement was already overwhelmingly endorsed by voters north and south in 1998.

A spokesperson for Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said tonight: “The political parties in Northern Ireland must first decide a position on a referendum.

“Then the Irish Government will begin a consultation process among political parties in the Republic and seek legal advice from the Attorney General on the issue.”

Any referendum may require a change to the Irish Constitution.

Mr Kenny said a unanimous vote by the Dáil parliament would offer any necessary political endorsement.

x

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited