‘Don’t tell me he’s dead,’ man told gardaí

One of seven Dubliners on trial, charged with murder, begged gardaí not to tell him that the man he had kicked had died.
‘Don’t tell me he’s dead,’ man told gardaí

The jury in the Central Criminal Court trial was yesterday hearing evidence of garda interviews conducted with one of the accused, Ross Callery.

Dale Creighton was assaulted on New Year’s morning 2014 at the footbridge over the Tallaght bypass. The 20-year-old died in hospital the following day.

A woman and six men, who are in their 20s and from Tallaght, have all pleaded not guilty to murder.

They are 23-year-old Aisling Burke and 28-year-old David Burke, both with a current address at Beechpark, Collinstown, Co Westmeath; Graham Palmer, 26, with a current address at Park Avenue, Portarlington, Co Laois; Ross Callery, 23, currently of Gortlum Cottages, Brittas, Co Dublin; James Reid, 26, currently of Glen Aoibhinn, Gorey, Co Wexford; Jason Beresford, 23, with an address at Coill Diarmuida, Ard a’ Laoi, Castledermot, Co Kildare; and Gerard Stevens, 27, currently of Grosvenor Square, Rathmines in Dublin.

Each accused also initially pleaded not guilty to violent disorder. However Jason Beresford later changed his plea and pleaded guilty to the violent disorder charge.

Detective Garda Kieran McGrath testified yesterday that Ross Callery presented himself at Tallaght Garda Station New Year’s night, after gardaí failed to find him at his mother’s home.

The detective said he was interviewed a number of times about the assault on the bridge, with Mr Callery saying he had chased a man, who had stolen a phone from his friend’s little sister.

“I gave him a kick up the hole,” he said of his involvement, and was asked why.

“He was after hitting a girl and taking her phone,” he replied.

“Your man beat the shite out of him. It was fair enough at the start,” he said.

He was asked who ‘your man’ was.

“Some fella, who was walking around at the time,” he said.

Mr Callery sad that he, himself, had kicked the injured party while he was on his hands and knees. He was asked how hard on a scale of one to 10, 10 being the hardest. He replied, seven.

He was asked at what point the fight was no longer fair.

“When he dropped,” he replied.

He was asked if he had gone over the top.

“Fortunately, I didn’t,” he said. He agreed that others might have gone too far by hitting him too many times.

“He was outnumbered,” he said.

He later identified himself from CCTV footage as one of four males standing beside a man, who was lying on the steps of the bridge.

He denied standing on the man’s face in the footage. He identified himself kicking him, but denied that it was in the head.

He described what he was shown as ‘sick’ and agreed that it was a ‘savage attack’.

It was put to him on the night of January 2 that, since his arrest, he hadn’t asked how Dale Creighton was. He said he had asked as soon as he had arrived.

“That was 20 hours ago. Have you asked anyone since?” he was asked.

“Don’t tell me he’s dead,” he repeated. He was told Mr Creighton had died.

The trial is continuing.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.