Accused described incident as ‘horrific’

The trial of seven Dubliners charged with murdering a man, who was beaten to death, has heard one of the accused described what happened as “horrific”.
Accused described incident as ‘horrific’

The incident took place around 4am at the footbridge over the Tallaght bypass between Saint Dominic’s Rd and Greenhills Rd. Dale Creighton died in hospital on January 2, 2014.

A woman and six men, who are in their 20s and from Tallaght, have all pleaded not guilty to murder.

Each accused also initially pleaded not guilty to violent disorder at the footbridge. However Jason Beresford changed his plea on Wednesday and pleaded guilty to the violent disorder charge.

Garda Brian O’Connor testified he arrested James Reid, aged 26, currently of Glen Aoibhinn, Gorey, Co Wexford, in Tallaght on the morning of January 2. He and colleagues then interviewed him at Tallaght Garda Station.

Mr Reid said he was aware of the incident as he had seen it on the news.

He said he did not know Mr Creighton, but had heard something about a girl’s phone being stolen.

It was put to him that Mr Creighton was dead as a result of his and his friends’ actions.

“It wasn’t me,” he replied.

He was asked which part he took in the assault. “I had no part in it,” he said.

It was put to him that, as far as gardaí could make out from CCTV, Mr Creighton was kicked, punched, stabbed and thrown down stairs. Mr Reid was then shown footage of the incident and asked if he had anything to say.

“It’s horrific,” he said.

He agreed he was on the video and identified himself, but repeated that he hadn’t assaulted the deceased.

During interview, he said he had taken a knife from Mr Creighton and went home.

The trial continues.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.