Murder accused pleads guilty to violent disorder

One of the seven Dubliners on trial charged with murdering 20-year-old Dale Creighton has pleaded guilty to violent disorder on the footbridge where the deceased was assaulted.
Murder accused pleads guilty to violent disorder

A witness also told the jury he saw a knife in Mr Creighton’s hand that day.

Dale Creighton died on January 2, 2014, about two days after an incident at a bridge over the Tallaght bypass between Saint Dominic’s Rd and Greenhills Rd.

Jason Beresford, aged 23, with an address at Coill Diarmuida, Ard a’ Laoi, Castledermot, Co Kildare, went on trial with six others on Tuesday. The woman and six men, in their 20s and from Tallaght, pleaded not guilty to murder when arraigned before the Central Criminal Court last week. Each also pleaded not guilty to violent disorder at the footbridge that New Year’s Day.

However, when the jury arrived to court yesterday morning, Mícheál O’Higgins, defending Mr Beresford, asked that his client be re-arraigned on the second count against him. Mr Beresford pleaded guilty to violent disorder on January 1, 2014.

Also charged with both offences are Aisling Burke, aged 23, and David Burke, aged 28, both of Beechpark, Collinstown, Co Westmeath; Graham Palmer, aged 26, Park Avenue, Portarlington, Co Laois; Ross Callery, aged 23, Gortlum Cottages, Brittas, Co Dublin; James Reid, aged 26, Glen Aoibhinn, Gorey, Co Wexford; and Gerard Stevens, aged 27, Grosvenor Square, Rathmines, Dublin.

The jury also heard from a witness who said he saw Mr Creighton with a knife on the footbridge that morning.

Carl O’Leary said he was on his way to get a taxi in Tallaght village after 3am, when he heard a commotion.

“I vaguely remember someone running past me,” he recalled. “I just remember someone saying: ‘Grab him. He robbed our phone’,” he said. “I recall seeing James Reid and Ross Callery.”

He said there were others, but didn’t know who they were.

Mr O’Leary said he, himself, began running down the Tallaght bypass and towards the footbridge.

“I remember seeing Mr Creighton on the bridge. I didn’t know him at the time,” he said.

Under cross examination by Brendan Grehan, defending Ms Burke, he agreed that he had put two and two together when he saw the person running and heard the shout about the phone.

Mr Grehan then read from his statement to gardaí.

“I seen he had a big kitchen knife, probably in his right hand. I said to myself: Fuck, I’m not risking getting stabbed for nobody’s phone,” he had said. “I stopped.”

He said in court that he hadn’t seen the knife when he backed away from the man, but had done so because he had run at him.

He confirmed to Ciaran O’Loughlin, defending James Reid, that he had later seen Dale Creighton with a knife, but said he hadn’t seen his client take the knife from him.

The trial continues.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.