Man, 82, acknowledges sexual abuse of two children

An 82-year-old man from a village in East Kerry had publically acknowledged his abuse of two women when they were young children, and he was in his forties and fifties, the Circuit Criminal Court in Tralee has heard.

Man, 82, acknowledges sexual abuse of two children

Patrick Daly of Coom, Gneeveguilla, Rathmore, a married man with one son, had previously pleaded guilty to a total of nine charges in relation to two complainants.

Five charges of indecent assault in relation to the first victim involved sample counts between January 1976 and September 1989.

The victim was aged 7, 8 and 9 and Mr Daly was in his 40s, and Mr Daly would visit her home when her parents were not around.

The charges of two indecent assaults and two sexual assaults were, however, specific in the case of the second victim, a visitor to the area, and occurred between April 18, 1990, and the end of December 1990, Detective Sergeant Joanne O’Brien from Bandon, Co Cork, agreed.

Moving victim impact statements were read to the court. “I told my mother what this man was doing to me, she didn’t believe me and this was devastating to me that my mammy didn’t believe me,” the first victim, who was not in court, said in a statement read by Sgt O’Brien.

The family banned him from the house but did not go to the gardaí, perhaps because that was the way of society at the time, Mr Rice said.

She had done very well academically but the nightmares never left her. However, in 2010, she went to gardaí and decided she was “not going to be a victim anymore” and her mother and family supported her.

The second victim read an emotional statement outlining how dramatically her life had changed at the age of 9 and the terrible effect it had in her relationship with her father. She had told no one about the abuse, but eventually refused to visit Kerry, something her father could not understand.

In their separate ways, both victims said they were finally able to tell the vulnerable little girls they were at the time of the abuse that they were no longer victims and finally stopped their abuser and they were proud of this.

“He has taken my past, but he will not take my future,” the second woman, who also has a successful career, said. She was nine and he was 56 at the time of the abuse.

Daly, a former handyman and later an employee of Cadbury’s in Rathmore had never been in trouble and and pleaded guilty at the first opportunity, the court heard.

“He acknowledges before the victims they have done nothing wrong,” Brian McInerney, defending, said.

Now, ”in the winter of his life” he had brought disgrace on himself, Mr McInerney said.

Mr Daly’s wife and son, who live abroad, were in court. This was not to condone his actions — but only to stand by him at this time, the counsel said.

Judge Thomas E O’Donnell adjourned the matter for finalisation to July.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

New episodes available each Tuesday during December

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence