Life terms for rape of mother, daughter

A convicted paedophile has been given eight concurrent life sentences for raping his girlfriend before breaking into her mother’s house and raping her three days later.

Life terms for rape of mother, daughter

The mother, aged 60 at the time, was rescued when her daughter heard the rape taking place in the background of a voicemail.

At the Central Criminal Court yesterday, Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy said the offences fell into the “wholly exceptional” category of rape offences which deserved a life sentence. He imposed eight life terms for the various offences, which will run concurrently.

In her victim impact statement, the daughter recalled a “night of horror”. She said the attack “took her dignity, her self-esteem, her confidence, her belief in forgiveness, and her belief that there was good in people”.

Her mother said she was “tortured” that night. She said she now lived in fear and could no longer be alone in her home.

The Waterford man, aged 48, who cannot be named, previously served a lengthy sentence for raping his daughter over four years.

At the time of the most recent attacks, he was on bail for kidnapping and seriously assaulting the same girlfriend the previous year. Last December, he was jailed for three and a half years for the kidnapping.

The father of four pleaded guilty to raping the women in various ways between July 2 and July 5, 2015, at locations in Dublin. He also pleaded guilty to false imprisonment, attempted rape, aggravated burglary, making threats to kill, and aggravated sexual assault.

Detective Inspector Paul Cleary told Kerida Naidoo, prosecuting, that the accused became angry when his girlfriend’s mother refused to let him into their house. He went with his girlfriend to another location, where they had sex, during which he became extremely violent and raped her. Afterwards, she felt she could not go home and went with him to a hostel.

The next day, he brought her into the bathroom, where he told her: “I’ll slice you up, I’ll kill you, I’ll teach you to disrespect me.”

He then repeatedly raped her. She later fled to a friend’s house.

Two days later, the woman had a missed call and voicemail from the accused. In the background of the voicemail, she could hear her mother plead with the accused.

Earlier that evening, the man had forced his way into the house after the mother opened the door to him. He punched her and held a Stanley knife to her throat. Det Insp Cleary said that, for the next two hours and 40 minutes, she was subjected to a vicious physical and sexual assault.

During this time, the man was repeatedly ringing her daughter.

Gardaí had been alerted by the woman’s daughter. As officers banged on the door, the accused told the woman he would kill her.

Gardaí broke in and chased the man into the back garden, where they pepper sprayed him after he refused to drop the knife.

Dominic McGinn, defending, said his client had told him not to minimise the seriousness of the offences. He said his client had some insight into his offending and was on the waiting list for psychological treatment.

More in this section