Road chaos over Cork bridge closure

Motorists have been warned to expect delays and consider diversions as one of Cork City’s busiest bridges closes for two months of maintenance from Monday.

Road chaos over Cork bridge closure

Clontarf Bridge, a vital artery which spans the southern channel of the River Lee between the Clarion Hotel and City Hall, will be closed to all traffic from early on Monday until Sunday, August 30.

City engineers said the bridge closure had been programmed for the summer months to minimise traffic disruption while schools are on holidays.

The temporary closure will facilitate essential strengthening and maintenance works to footways, to the roadway and to the bridge superstructure itself.

Works will continue to the underside of the bridge after August but that planned work will not affect traffic.

Several diversions will be in place at key access points around the city centre for the duration of the bridge closure.

The terminus for the Black Ash park and ride will also relocate from Lapp’s Quay to City Hall for two months.

Advance warning signs have been erected around the city and motorists were advised last night to take the bridge closure into account and to plan their city centre trips in advance.

Lawrence Owens, the chief executive of the Cork Business Association, said his members accept work has to be done.

“It is beneficial that it’s being done during the school summer holidays — a time when it will cause the least possible disruption,” he said.

“But it has to be managed properly. We will be monitoring the situation closely, and liaising with City Hall and gardaí to ensure that if any problems arise, they can be responded to quickly.”

Southbound traffic from Summer Hill and MacCurtain St should travel around Kent Station via the Lower Glanmire Rd, Water St, and Horgan’s Quay before turning onto Michael Collins Bridge and Custom House St.

Railway St, from its junction with Lower Glanmire Rd to its junction with Alfred St, will be closed to through traffic for the period of the works.

Southbound traffic from Merchant’s Quay should travel via Anderson’s Quay onto Michael Collins Bridge and Custom House St.

The work is being funded from a €294m investment programme announced earlier this year for regional and local roads.

Cork City Council said it regrets any inconvenience which the works may cause.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Home Delivery
logo-ie

HOME DELIVERY SERVICE

Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.