Yesterday, the man, aged 31, showed investigators the area of a northside park in which he was repeatedly kicked and threatened.
Paul Deaton suffered a serious head wound in the attack in Fairview Park. As many as five teenagers were involved in threatening to burn and rape him.
The incident unfolded at 7pm on Wednesday and led to Paul having to spend eight hours in hospital for treatment, including four staples and stitching to the head wound.
Lord Mayor of Dublin Christy Burke has met with senior gardaí and there have also been demands for an increase in patrols of the area by gardaí and park rangers.
Paul’s father, Damien, yesterday condemned the attack as “disgraceful” and “disgusting”, and said it was time for tough measures to deal with people who engage in such incidents.
Paul had walked down to Fairview Park on Wednesday evening from his Marino home, even though his father revealed he had previously asked him to stay away from the area — especially at night.
Speaking on Tubridy on 2FM, Damien said: “Next thing, we got a call at half seven that he had been attacked.
“He was hunted down by five lads — I don’t know where they came from or who they are — on bikes.
“They hunted him down, literally, like an animal.
“Three times he fell, three times they kicked him and he’d get up and run.”
The attack ended only when Paul managed to cross the footbridge in Fairview and a passerby saw him bleeding and brought him to a nearby pharmacy.
It is understood the gang had threatened to strip Paul, burn him, and rape him, and that at least some of the attack was filmed on a mobile phone.
Damien said Paul was “very upset and traumatised”, and added: “He keeps asking: ‘Why, why would people do this to me?’ ”
Paul had visited the park to engage in his hobby of photographing tractors and heavy machinery.
Paul’s sister, Linda, highlighted the attack on her Facebook page where she posted a picture of Paul being bandaged in the hospital.
“Paul is traumatised by what happened and is too terrified to leave the house, saying that he thinks those boys are going to get him,” said Linda.“It’s really after affecting me and my family so much. It’s shocking, vile and evil.”
Paul’s mother, Dorothy, told the Irish Examiner that her son had gone back to the park yesterday with gardaí to provide more detail as to how the incident took place.
Gardaí in Clontarf are now investigating and have appealed to anyone with any information to come forward.
Mr Burke, a neighbour of the Deatons, said it might be time to consider employing CCTV in the area.
“It was nothing but a cowardly, disgusting, thuggish act of violence to be inflicted on any human being,” he said.
“We are dealing with mindless thugs and they need to be rooted out of society.”