Dwyer Case: Graphic accounts of sexual violence found on hard drive at Dwyer home

For the second day in a row, the jurors in the Graham Dwyer trial were yesterday given a warning about the difficult nature of what they were about to hear.

Dwyer Case: Graphic accounts of sexual violence found on hard drive at Dwyer home

Mr Justice Tony Hunt gave the warning about a document entitled “Jenny’s First Rape”, found on a harddrive in the architect’s home. The document about an attack on a young stranger in Newcastle was read out on the 32nd day of Mr Dwyer’s murder trial at the Central Criminal Court.

Mr Dwyer, aged 42, is charged with murdering Dubliner Elaine O’Hara at Killakee, Rathfarnham, Dublin on August 22, 2012.

The Cork-born father-of- three of Kerrymount Close, Foxrock in Dublin has pleaded not guilty to murdering the childcare worker, aged 36, on that date.

Det Garda Brid Wallace testified that she found a folder labelled with two initials on a hard drive seized from Mr Dwyer’s home. Only the first initial, J, was disclosed in court.

Inside the folder, she found a five-second video clip with rape in the title. The woman featured in the video could be heard crying.

Also in the folder was a document, saved as E.doc, created on May 31, 2005 under the company name A&D Wejchert Architects, the firm in which Mr Dwyer was a director. From the metadata of the three-page document, she could see the name Graham Dwyer under “author” and “last modified”.

Seán Guerin SC, prosecuting, read out the document, which was written in the first person and also contained an image.

“It was my first time in Newcastle and the day was fine and dry,” it began.

“I had flown in to visit some of the local sites: the Angel of the North, that magnificent piece of engineering crossing the Tyne. But also to visit some of the more contemporary shopping centres and architectural developments to get any ideas I could for my development in Dublin,” it continued. “I also wanted to feed my lust.”

The writer then wrote about hoping to have sexual relations with “one of Newcastle’s finest” before his flight home.

“Dressed respectably in my casual clothes, no-one would suspect what was on my mind: Rape,” he wrote.

“I had my little overnight bag with the usual things: Socks, underwear, spare shirt, some chloroform, rope and, of course, my hunting knife.”

Elaine O’Hara: Skeletal remains discovered in 2013.

He said it was difficult to get his knife through security “since those pretty young air hostesses had their throats slit open during 9/11”, but he usually managed to find a good hunting shop on his travels.

He wrote that he thought of his usual hunting ground: Drugging and abducting a girl and taking her to a rental van in an underground car park.

“I thought about it long and hard,” he said. “I checked everyone out as a potential victim while I was walking the street.”

“I stumbled on a huge, old bookshop several storeys high,” he wrote. “The perfect opportunity to find a timid little flower, who wouldn’t put up a fight.”

He said he noticed a scar, which reminded him of the “wildcat” who had given it to him in the bushes of St Stephen’s Green.

“I smiled. Happy memories,” he wrote. “That’s the last time she’ll try to grab the knife from someone who’s raping her, the last time she would do anything.”

He said he walked into the bookshop — a maze of a building, picked up a book and strolled around.

“I finally came to the top floor. It was deserted except for a beautiful girl, her wavy long blonde hair falling on her shoulders,” he wrote, describing her silhouette.

“She was engrossed in a book in the erotic section; ironic,” he continued, adding that he noticed her flushed cheeks as he carefully approached her.

“I glanced at the cover. It was Marquis de Sade, a classic book filled with erotic cruelty, rape and murder. I knew this girl was going to be my next victim.”

He said that she was so engrossed in her book that she barely noticed his presence. He said he reached carefully and slowly into his jacket for his 6in hunting knife.

“Looking around, I could see the coast was clear. I also noticed there were no security cameras... Perfect,” he wrote.

He then described walking her out of the shop at knife-point, and threatening to stab her as they walked to his hotel. He said he then used chloroform to render her unconscious. He said he took “loads of photos” for his gold collection of rape victims before the chloroform wore off.

“Thank God for digital cameras,” he wrote. “These are not the type of photos you could take into Boots to develop.”

He then described threatening, raping, and almost strangling her. He said he could see her relief when it was over, but that this changed to terror again when he picked up his knife.

“As far as I was con- cerned, the fun was only beginning,” he wrote, concluding with the words: “The end?”

Det Garda Wallace said she found a document on the drive, which had been created in May 2005. “It Was Just So Hot Walking along Grafton Street” had the initials beginning with J under “author” and “last modified” in the file’s metadata.

Beginning with the words: “Thinking of you whilst I wrote this”, it was an account of a woman walking around a park before being raped and having blood drawn from her throat.

Det Garda Wallace also elaborated on an image from the hard drive that she had previously mentioned. It was found inside a folder, labelled DD, along with the document, Killing Darci, which the jury heard read out on Thursday.

She said it was an image of a blonde female, who appeared to be dead, with stab wounds and her intestines visible. She said she was aware of Darci Day’s evidence earlier this week, in which the American said that she might have sent Mr Dwyer a photograph of herself to Photoshop.

Darci Day: Photoshopped image with intestines visible.

Det Garda Wallace confirmed she had not known what Ms Day looked like before she testified and had since looked at the image of the blonde female again.

She found that it had been Photoshopped, explaining that this involved adding or taking things away from an original photograph.

“The background image was of a female, who appeared to be Ms Day, laying on the ground with a black jacket opened,” she said, explaining that she was naked to the waistline and that her arms were either side of her head.

She said she believed that seven ‘layers’ had been superimposed onto the photograph, which was then shown on screens in court, layer by layer.

The trial has heard that Ms O’Hara was last seen in Shanganagh, South Dublin on the evening of August 22, 2012, hours after she was discharged from a mental health hospital.

A cause of death could not be determined when her skeletal remains were found at Killakee on September 13 the following year.

It is the State’s case that Mr Dwyer stabbed her for his own sexual gratification.

The trial continues.

More in this section