Dundon in jail on night he was implicated in murder

The main witness against Wayne Dundon in the Roy Collins murder trial has explained how he mistakenly implicated Dundon in a separate murder that he could not have committed at that time.

Dundon in jail on night he was implicated in murder

Gareth Collins was recalled to the witness box yesterday after it emerged that Dundon had been in prison when the witness said Dundon had tried to get him to help kill bouncer Brian Fitzgerald.

Collins had already testified at the Special Criminal Court, where Dundon, aged 36, of Lenihan Ave, Prospect, Limerick, is on trial with Nathan Killeen, aged 24, of Hyde Rd, also in Prospect.

They have both pleaded not guilty to the murder of businessman Roy Collins at Coin Castle Amusements, Roxboro Road Shopping Centre, Limerick on April 9, 2009.

The non-jury court has heard that the 35-year-old was at work around 12pm that day when a gunman entered his amusement arcade and discharged a shot. Roy Collins was hit in the chest and died in hospital a short time later.

It is the prosecution case that Dundon directed the murder from prison, Killeen was the getaway driver and James Dillon the gunman.

Last month, Gareth Collins, aged 31, testified Dundon offered him €20,000 to take part in the murder. He said Dundon made the offer over the phone from his prison cell, but he repeatedly refused.

It has since emerged the witness also implicated Dundon in the 2002 murder of bouncer Brian Fitzgerald. He told gardaí he hid under a bed when Dundon called for him on the night of that murder — a night when Dundon was actually in prison.

When he was recalled to the witness box yesterday, he said he had run upstairs and hidden under a bed when he saw a car arrive that night because he didn’t want to participate.

“My mother answered the door,” he said. “I didn’t see him [Dundon] coming in at all. My mother told me that.”

Michael O’Higgins SC, prosecuting, told him that research had indicated that Dundon was in custody from April 2002 until after Mr Fitzgerald’s murder in November of that year.

Collins confirmed that this was the first time he heard that Dundon was in prison that night. Under cross-examination he agreed he had probably told gardaí lies when he was arrested after Mr Fitzgerald’s murder.

He agreed that his account to gardaí was also different from his account in court in relation to the murder of Roy Collins.

More in this section