Connolly, aged 26, had earlier pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Anthony Kelly — who suffered a fractured eye-socket — at McGowan’s public house in Phibsboro, Dublin, in the early hours of August 6, 2012.
An unreserved apology, which was accepted by Mr Kelly, had been issued by Connolly’s lawyer during a hearing at Dublin District Court last year.
Mr Kelly had refused to accept compensation from him so the footballer gave €5,000 to the Barnardos charity and Rape Crisis Centre. He had also been ordered to complete an anger management course and a probation report was sought by Judge Patrick Clyne.
The judge yesterday said he wanted Connolly to do 80 hours’ voluntary service over the summer, teaching and coaching children.
Michael Hanahoe, defending, said his client “is happy to do it, proud to do it, and willing to do it”.
The case was adjourned until September but the judge, who said he wanted to “draw a line under it”, added that the matter can be re-entered before then if the voluntary work is completed before the next court date.