Taoiseach urges teachers to reflect on action threat
Enda Kenny insisted there would be no changes to a pay and conditions deal struck with public sector workers, despite its rejection by the Association of Secondary Teachers of Ireland (ASTI).
“Let me be very clear: The Haddington Road Agreement will not be renegotiated,” he told the Dáil, adding that the ASTI should “consider the cost to their members” of being outside the deal.
Mr Kenny said that 300,000 public sector workers had already agreed to sign up to the deal “in the knowledge that this country was left in an unholy mess economically and that we had to sort that out.
“I would ask the ASTI to reflect very seriously — at this time of economic challenge for our country — when they decide to withdraw from all meetings outside school hours, refuse to participate in training for their students for the new junior cycle and not take on any management responsibilities without being paid.”
“At a time of national response when we are clearly making progress — difficult as it is — I’m disappointed that this was their decision.”
Mr Kenny defended Education Minister, Ruairi Quinn, who he said “merely pointed out the reality” when he said on Tuesday night that ASTI members would not be protected from compulsory redundancy after rejecting the deal.
He was responding to questions from Sinn Féin’s Mary Lou McDonald who said teacher were available for talks but Mr Quinn “prefers to strike a macho pose”.
In New York, Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore took the opportunity to support the Taoiseach’s strong stance against the ASTI.
“The Government does not propose to re-negotiate the Haddington Road Agreement. It is in place.”



