Two men charged with Roy Collins murder

Two Limerick men were charged at the Special Criminal Court in Dublin yesterday with the murder of local businessman Roy Collins in 2009.

Two men charged with Roy Collins murder

Wayne Dundon, aged 34, of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect, and Nathan Killeen, 22, of Hyde Rd, Prospect, were each charged with the murder of Mr Collins, a 35-year-old father of two, at Coin Castle Amusements, Roxboro Rd Shopping Centre, Limerick on Apr 9, 2009.

The murder of Roy Collins subsequently led to his father Steve and other family members moving abroad under the Garda relocation programme.

Det Garda Paul Crowley gave evidence yesterday that he met Dundon in the courts building this morning and informed him that, on the directions of the Director of Public Prosecutions, he was to be charged with the murder of MR Collins on Apr 9, 2009.

Det Garda Brian O’Connor, Roxboro Rd, told the court that he met Killeen in the courts building and informed him that, on the directions of the DPP, he was to be charged with the murder of Roy Collins on Apr 9, 2009.

Prosecution solicitor Michael O’ Donovan told the court that the DPP had signed a certificate on Jan 13 certifying that the ordinary courts were inadequate to deal with the administration of justice and that each man should be charged in the Special Criminal Court.

Dundon spoke only once during the 30-minute hearing when he replied “I am”, when asked by the court registrar if he was Wayne Dundon. Killeen also replied “Yes” when asked by the registrar if he was Nathan Killeen.

After the two men were charged Dundon’s counsel, Shane O’Callaghan BL, pointed out to the court that there had been a lot of media coverage of the case already and that a public representative had been quoted on local radio in Limerick as congratulating the gardaí on bringing Dundon to court. He asked for a direction from the court that the media should refrain from making any comment on the case.

Mr Justice Paul Butler, presiding at the three-judge court with Judge John O’Hagan and Judge Flan Brennan, said that the court was “not inclined to lecture people”. The judge said it was an open court but clearly there should not be comments on the merits of an upcoming trial or case. He told counsel: “You are fortunate in that there isn’t a jury.”

He said the court was unaware of any statements by public representatives and the court would not make any direction to the media in regard to the case.

Both men were remanded in custody to Portlaoise Prison until Apr 23, when the case will be mentioned again.

Dundon is currently serving a six-year prison sentence for making threats to members of a Limerick family in 2010, and Killeen is serving a five-year sentence for breaking into a house to extort money in 2010. Both men were jailed after trials at the non-jury Special Criminal Court, which normally deals with terrorist offences.

In May 2010, James Dillon, aged 26, was jailed for life for the murder of Roy Collins after he pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to the killing.

Picture: A heavy security presence outside the Special Criminal Court in Dublin yesterday for the arrival of Wayne Dundon and Nathan Killeen. Picture: Niall Carson/PA Wire

More in this section