Budget plan delay is politically motivated, claims Fianna Fáil

THE unveiling of budget plans for the next three years has been pushed out until after the presidential election and Dublin West by-election in a move the opposition claimed is “politically motivated”.

An outline for spending cuts and tax increases from 2012 to 2015 had been promised during October as part of an agreement with the bailout troika.

However, Taoiseach Enda Kenny told the Dáil that “the actual publication of that might be delayed until the first couple of days in November because of the presidential election”.

It will include the adjustment figure expected to be around €4 billion for the 2012 budget.

The public will also hear which capital projects are going ahead or have been cancelled, with the publication of the capital spending plan on November 10.

Details of the Comprehensive Spending Review — or department by department list of possible cuts — will be published on December 1. Fianna Fáil said last night this was part of a “conditioning process” to get people used to the savage budget.

“It’s a token gesture publishing it five days before the budget,” said Fianna Fáil finance spokesman Michael McGrath.

“The idea is that you allow the general public the opportunity to debate the decisions to be taken. Instead, the list of possible cuts is being published five days before in the hope that when people see the final budget it won’t look as bad.”

But the Government said it was a “new departure” in transparency to publish a series of documents in the run-up to budget day.

Outlining the timetable in the Dáil, Mr Kenny told the opposition: “You’ll be drowning in debates and information about this budget.”

Mr McGrath said the decision to “withhold” documents until after the elections was “politically motivated.”

The Cork South-Central TD said: “The Government parties are worried about the impact this would have on the presidential election and Dublin West by-election.”

A government spokesperson said the delay was to give “more space for people to be communicated to” about budget decisions without the distraction of the elections.

But he said this was not the only reason for the delay as further exchequer figures will be available to the Department of Finance at the end of October and will inform the decisions.

Mr Kenny said details of the comprehensive spending review will be available online.

It will outline decisions on reducing the number of government bodies “and other reform measures to protect front-line services as best we can even as we cut public spending,” according to the Government spokesperson.

The Government insisted there was no split in Cabinet on whether the adjustment for next year should exceed the planned €3.6bn as hinted at by the Minister for Finance, Michael Noonan.

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited