Cliffs dispute hits Trapattoni plans

AN industrial dispute at the Cliffs of Moher has resulted in a planned press conference by Ireland soccer manager Giovanni Trapattoni, which was scheduled for the Clare landmark today, being moved elsewhere.

The soccer chief was due to announce his Irish squad for an upcoming friendly.

The first day of strike action began at the Cliffs of Moher yesterday at 8am.

SIPTU organiser Tony Kenny said the day’s visitor numbers were down 25% to 30% as a result of the picketing.

However, centre director Ger Dollard disagreed, saying: “It is business as usual here. I’m very pleased with how the contingency plan has worked out.”

Mr Dollard said the strike action “hasn’t disrupted the activities of the centre in any way”.

“The centre is quite busy. The coaches and cars are coming in as normal. There have been one or two day tour operators that haven’t passed the picket allowing their passengers to walk in, but we will be invoicing them so there will be no loss to the centre,” he added.

Seventeen of the 50 workers at the Cliffs are SIPTU members. Mr Dollard confirmed all of the non-union workers rostered to work yesterday turned up for work.

At the centre of the dispute is the refusal by the Clare County Council subsidiary, Cliffs of Moher Centre Ltd, to implement a Labour Court decision last year recommending that the staff receive the same terms and conditions as their council counterparts.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

New episodes available each Tuesday during December

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence