O’Rourke has enough of Callely’s ‘antics’

ONE of Fianna Fáil’s senior figures has said she has had enough of Ivor Callely’s antics and asked for a friend or family member to talk him into leaving politics and the party.

Mary O’Rourke TD said she was not surprised by the latest allegations concerning the censured senator’s expenses claims.

However, she said nothing could be done to remove him from office and she did not know if he could be expelled from Fianna Fáil.

She said he had been isolated in political circles.

“Certainly we have had enough of these antics,” she said.

Ms O’Rourke told RTÉ’s News at One she would wait until the facts have been firmed up before calling for further action.

Allegations on Sunday suggested that since 2002 Mr Callely made four separate expenses claims for mobile phone equipment using documents from a communications company that went out of business eight years earlier.

Ms O’Rourke said she was particularly surprised by this because he was a junior minister at the time.

At the weekend her Dáil colleague John McGuinness said if the substance of the article is proven to be true, Mr Callely should be expelled from the party.

Prior to this Ógra Fianna Fáil said they had no confidence in his continued role.

Mr Callely was not available yesterday to respond.

He is a member of the Sean Traynor Cumann in Dublin North Central. It is unclear whether any action taken at this level has the power to remove him from the organisation.

The local network understands the removal of any member of the party is a matter for Fianna Fáil headquarters.

Tom Loomes from the Comhairle Dáil Ceanntar in Dublin North Central proposed Mr Callely in the 2007 General Election. He said membership was a centralised system and out of its hands.

Mr Loomes said the CDC had not met to discuss the earlier expenses’ controversy as the group had broken up for the summer.

And because Mr Callely had been removed from the parliamentary party, he would not be able to address its meetings as an Oireachtas member.

Mr Loomes said he was not au fait with the latest allegations concerning Mr Callely’s mobile claims.

Fianna Fáil said it was not in a position to comment.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence