Charge in ecstasy death unlikely

IT IS unlikely that anyone will face criminal charges in relation to the death of a Cork teenager who took ecstasy, it emerged yesterday.

Despite a lengthy Garda investigation, Inspector Ger O’Mahony told Cork Coroner’s Court yesterday that at this stage, criminal proceedings are not anticipated in relation to the death of 17-year-old Jonathan Kiely.

Mr Kiely, of Avondale Court, Passage West, Co Cork, was found collapsed in a cemetery in Passage West and died on January 7, 2007 from massive brain swelling.

The inquest into his death was opened and adjourned last year when evidence of identification and cause of death were heard.

He died as a result of ingesting methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine (MDMA) — the chemical name for ecstasy.

Assistant State pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster told the inquest at the time that her examination of the body confirmed that Mr Kiely died from severe cerebral oedema or swelling of the brain due to the ingestion of ecstasy.

An extensive garda investigation into the circumstances surrounding Mr Kiely’s death was carried out, including attempts to trace individuals who would have been in contact with Mr Kiely in the days and hours before his death.

The inquest has been mentioned several times in the coroner’s court but has been adjourned pending the outcome of the garda investigations.

The case came before the coroner’s court again yesterday, where Inspector O’Mahony told coroner Dr Myra Cullinane that charges are not anticipated.

The news clears the way for a full inquest to proceed.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Home Delivery
logo-ie

HOME DELIVERY SERVICE

Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.