Port chiefs to discuss ferry route re-opening
Representatives from Associated British Ports, which has responsibility for Swansea port, are to visit Cork on September 8.
Captain Michael McCarthy, commercial manager for the Port of Cork, said both authorities would discuss providing a list of incentives for would-be operators on the Swansea-Cork route.
He also revealed that the parties were already in discussion with two Irish operators who have expressed interest in re-establishing the service.
The loss of the ferry is believed to have cost the south-west region an estimated €38 million in tourist revenue last year.
Cork County Council, Cork City Council and Kerry County Council have set up a working group, primarily aimed at galvanising political support for the reinstatement.
Captain McCarthy said work was already going on behind the scenes to source a second-hand vessel which would be capable of plying the route.
“Swansea Port has some limitations in regard to length and draught of a ship. A suitable vessel would also have to have the necessary stability to withstand weather in the Atlantic,” he said.
Capt McCarthy said the reopening of the route should have happened last season, but was lost at the last minute.
He and his counterparts in Swansea are determined that this won’t happen for the summer of 2009.
“I’m reasonably confident that we will have the route reopened for next season.
“Re-establishing a Cork- Swansea ferry link is one of the main priorities of the Port of Cork and we have been spending a considerable amount of time on this project,” Capt McCarthy said.
Discussions are now entering a critical stage, as any operator would have to start marketing the route shortly.
“Potential customers would have to be informed in November or December, so they could make plans for their summer holidays,” Capt McCarthy said.
He believes the time is right for the re-establishment of the route, as airline fares begin to rise.
“Airline travel is going to become more and more expensive. There has been an increase of between 10% and 15% in passengers using ferries on the Irish Sea in the past year. So I’m confident that the Swansea-Cork route is economically viable,” the Port of Cork commercial manager said.
He added that the route would also prove very attractive to road hauliers, who are presently having to divert their cargoes through Rosslare and Dublin.



