Latvian murder victim was due to fly home for family visit on Friday

GARDAÍ last night said they were making good progress with their investigations into the murder of a Latvian father-of-two.

A third man was arrested yesterday and questioned in connection with the fatal stabbing of Alexander Filsunins.

The three were part of a five-strong Lithuanian gang that chased down the 27-year-old victim after he had tried to help a man who was earlier set upon by the gang outside a pub in Swords, north Dublin.

Gardaí said Mr Filsunins did not know the original victim and had simply gone to his aid.

Mr Filsunins was due to visit his wife Valerija and their two young children — daughter Alina, 6, and son Maxim, 4 — in Latvia this Friday. He was scheduled to return home for good in September.

Mr Filsunins’ body was found slumped near analleyway in OaklandsAvenue in Swords shortly after 3am on Sunday.

Gardaí said the gang had followed him in a car and gave chase after they spotted him on Oaklands Avenue. Mr Filsunins ran down an alleyway and into a back garden, where he became cornered.

Detectives believe all five men were involved in the attack, but to varying degrees. Mr Filsunins was kicked, beaten and stabbed repeatedly.

Two Lithuanian men, aged 19 and 24, were arrested shortly after the attack. Gardaí found an automatic pistol in the car they were driving. They were detained under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act, which allows a maximum of three days’ detention.

One was detained on suspicion on unlawful possession of a firearm while the second was held on suspicion of possession of information concerning the firearm.

A third man, aged 24, was arrested in Clondalkin, west Dublin yesterday anddetained under the same act. He is being held on suspicion of unlawful possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

A garda source said they were “reasonably happy” with the progress of the investigation and that they were working towards finding the two remaining suspects.

He said the victim had not come to their attention before: “He was a very much liked guy, very hard working, he worked every hour that God sends.”

Mr Filsunins had worked as a farm labourer in Rush, north Dublin for the last five years.

His work colleague and housemate Jurijs Beiuarovich said: “I had lived with him for two years and it is awful news”.

His employer Alan Harford said: “He had worked with Harfords from the day he came to Ireland. He was a very hard worker and he never missed a day.”

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.