She yesterday emailed the DPP’s office after a traumatic week for the Holohan family in which neighbour Wayne O’Donoghue was sentenced to four years in prison.
The Midleton, Co Cork, mother later spent part of the afternoon at her 11-year-old son’s grave.
Meanwhile, the family of Wayne O’Donoghue also yesterday broke their silence on the case, insisting their son’s character was “blackened” by certain sectors of the media after the manslaughter sentence.
The family statement was made in response to media commentary following Ms Holohan’s passionate outburst in court last Tuesday when she publicly revealed semen was found on her son’s hand.
The O’Donoghues said: “The family are very upset. We are shocked and saddened about some of the coverage.”
Any impropriety by O’Donoghue, in relation to the semen allegation, has since been denied by his legal team.
Ms Holohan also claimed O’Donoghue had made a 6am phone call to Robert and that her son was in the 21-year-old’s bedroom at 7.30am one day.
O’Donoghue’s solicitor Frank Buttimer confirmed that his client is seeking to bring libel action against The Sun and broadcaster TV3 following the coverage of the allegations.
Mr Buttimer yesterday further rounded on reports O’Donoghue would not attend a forthcoming inquest into Robert’s death, which will be held by South County Cork coroner Frank O’Connell on a date to be fixed.
Mr Buttimer said: “The purpose of an inquest is to establish the identity of the deceased, when the person died, where they died and how. Strictly speaking, the ‘how’ means medically.”
Coroners, the Cork solicitor said, have previously rebuked people for asking “fishing” questions. “The coroner will say they are not there to try a civil or a criminal case. That would end any questions like that.”
O’Donoghue, of Ballyedmond Hill, Midleton, Co Cork, was earlier this week jailed for four years after being convicted in December of Robert’s manslaughter.