Fashion boasts inherent freedom: the ability to express a feeling or a mood; to augment one’s reality with a specific colour or a silhouette. The current crop of voluminous dresses is no exception. Multi-tiered, empire line, tunic, kaftan or baby doll, there’s a style to cater to every taste. So, whirl and twirl; enjoy that Zoom dance party or add some whimsy while working from home.
Main image (above): Valentino puff sleeve A-line mini dress, Brown Thomas, €1,980
Second image (below): Silk voluminous mini dress, & Other Stories, €229
Get your frills with these fancy frocks.
Voluminous puff sleeve midi dress, & Other Stories, €89
Rotate ‘Dawn’ puffed shoulder floral satin midi dress, Brown Thomas, €360
Neon multi-tiered tunic dress, H&M, €59.99
Stine Goya ‘Jasmine’ voluminous mini dress, MacBee’s, €240
Voluminous wrap midi dress, & Other Stories, €129
Conscious Exclusive striped kaftan, H&M, €99
Premium quality silk-blend t-shirt dress, H&M, €119
• EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: Apple-shaped? Choose empire lines that flow from the bust down.
• DROP IT LOW: Dial down the frills by swapping a full multi-tiered frock for a kaftan or t-shirt silhouette with a drop hem.
• SIMPLY DOES IT: Balance volume by keeping accessories to a minimum. Opt for flat sandals or bright sneakers and let the dress do the talking.
• SHOULDER IT: Column-shaped? Try a sleek silhouette with defined puff sleeves.
• THAT’S A WRAP: Reign in an augmented silhouette with a belted style. Great for hourglass or pear shapes.