CALL OF THE WILD
Animal prints continue to roam the fashion tundra alongside furry naps, metallic jacquards and brash brocades. Expect maximalist interpretations of the trend across the board. No pussy cats here.
The leopard print coat is this season’s statement piece. Make like J. Crew creativ director Jenna Lyons and layer it over, well, everything! Meet your new neutral.
The candour of this season’s ‘notice me’ approach to dressing is rapidly dismantling dress codes. Jewels, embroidery and delicious embellishments segue from day to night and back again with little regard for social constraints. Any time, any day is the new occasion.
Pair an embroidered tunic with the trending cropped wide leg trouser. Finish with loafer slides for everyday elegance.
Gucci reignites the spirit of last winter’s unlikely muse Margot Tenenbaum with a sequel to the lady eclectic. Jacquards, tapestry, retro shoes and explosive colours combine in a kaleidoscope of kitsch. The result? An homage to the quorum of quirky.
Not keen on hypertextuality? Opt for one stand-out piece like the pussybow blouse or a knife pleat skirt in matte rather than metallic. Dress down with a simple staple for everyday ease.
Furry textures find continued expression in colder climes and this winter is no exception. Prim coat edging at Oscar de la Renta, outre and oversized silhouettes at Fendi, shaggy styles at Rodarte and floral confections from Michael Kors – the options are endless.
If the hirsuite doesn’t suit, take a less prodigious approach with a faux fur stole worn off-the-shoulder or cross-body and tucked into a coat belt.
Military references get the full salute with brass buttons at Coach, gold frogging at Dolce & Gabbana, caping at Mulberry, and not forgetting Prada’s nautical nous. More perennial than a passing trend, this is one closet keeper that honours its cost-per-wear.
Looking to invest? Look no further than a classic full-length coat. If brass buttons add too much volume, look to quieter single-breasted styles that offer a leaner silhouette.
CHECK IT OUT
As the mercury dips, watch check prints rise. Whether you prefer Victoria Beckham’s Prince of Wales print, Burberry’s muted plaid or Acne Studio’s Scandi tweed, box clever by opting for the square root.
Give heritage a new twist by pairing a tartan skirt and platform ankle boots with a demure polo neck and trenchcoat.
oversized, relaxed silhouette, loose tailoring, sculptural silhouette, pleats and folds, voluminous
70s Bowie with elements of 80s disco and a rollover of 90s grunge
velvet, brocade, faux fur, sheepskin, chinoiserie, overstated knits, suede, snakeskin, leather, mesh, lace, denim, sheer, sequins, glossy patent leather, vinyl.
leopard, check, winter florals The colour: pink and yellow (worn together), camel, black
ruffles, embroidery, frayed and distressed edges, pleating, tinsel, metallic sheen, quilting, tight lacing accents, skin-baring cut-outs, statement collars, reinvented fringe, crossbody fur stoles
slip dresses, bomber jackets, pyjama wear, athleisure, mules
genderless, global traveller, fairytales, vintage, maritime and military, ballet and dance, Studio 54, Renaissance women, punk.
- Arnotts - Henry Street 01-8050400; www.arnotts.ie
- Asos – www.asos.com
- Brown Thomas – Patrick Street 021-4805555; www.brownthomas.com and other branches
- Debenhams - Patrick Street 1890-946779; www.debenhams.ie
- Dorothy Perkins - Patrick Street 021-4272060; www.dorothyperkins.com and other branches
- Hobbs – Dundrum Town Centre 01-2079619; www.hobbs.co.uk
- House of Fraser - Dundrum Town Centre 01-2991400; and www.houseoffraser.co.uk
- M&S – Merchants Quay SC 021-4275555; www.marksandspencer.ie and other branches
- Marc Cain – Oliver Plunkett St 021-4279909; www.marc-cain.com and other branches
- Next - Opera Lane 021-4204000; www.next.co.uk; and other branches
- Penneys – Patrick Street 021-4271936; www.primark.com and other branches
- Reiss - St. Stephen’s Green 01-6712588; www.reiss.co.uk and other branches
- River Island - Opera Lane 021-4278460; www.riverisland.com and other branches
- Samui - Drawbridge St, Cork 021-4278080; www.samuifashions.com
- Topshop - Opera Lane 021-4278268; www.topshop.com and other branches
- Uterqüe – www.uterque.com
- Wallis - Patrick Street 021-4271733; www.wallis.co.uk and other branches
- Zara – Mahon Point SC 021-4972320; www.zara.com and other branches