THERE’S lots to love about summer, but hot weather, humidity, and holiday activities can take their toll on our bodies, resulting in parched skin, frazzled locks and flaky nails.
By the time back-to-school season rolls around, we’re in need of some serious damage-control measures.
The good news is that with the right products and a bit of attention, you’ll be back in tip-top condition in no time.
THE AFTERBURN EFFECT
“When you get burned after spending too much time in the sun, it’s always best to address it right away by seeking out ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties, like aloe-vera,” says Dr Ronald Moy, founder of DNA Renewal, which harnesses DNA repair enzymes, the body’s natural defence against UV, pollution, and ageing.
“Applying DNA Renewal, a product like our Restoring Mask, is extremely helpful immediately after sun exposure to prevent deep DNA damage caused by UV radiation, while continual use also helps restore radiance, minimise wrinkles and reduce brown spots.”
If you’ve managed to avoid sunburn but your skin is still feeling a bit on the lacklustre side, supplementing your skincare routine with a serum could be the answer.
“A resurfacing product, like the new Elemis Dynamic Resurfacing Serum, will get to work fast revealing a new, fresher complexion by nibbling away at any dead skin cells, reducing the appearance of pores, as well as evening out the skin’s overall texture,” advises Noella Gabriel, co-founder and creator of Elemis Therapies.
For a natural moisture boost, try the affordable Weleda Pomegranate Firming Face Serum which provides a gentle, protective shield against the elements.
* DNA Renewal Skin Restoring Mask, €57.75 ( www.CultBeauty.co.uk free p&p)
* DNA Renewal Intensive Renewal, €90.10 ( www.CultBeauty.co.uk free p&p)
* Elemis Dynamic Resurfacing Serum, €102.45 ( www.lookfantastic.com free p&p)
* Weleda Pomegranate Firming Face Serum, €39.99 ( www.boots.ie )
DETOX YOUR LOCKS
Whether you favour beach or pool, it’s unlikely you’ve been wearing a swimming cap with your bikini this summer, so chances are your hair has felt the ravaging effects of sun, salt water and chlorine.
To counteract those effects, check out the Ojon hair care range.
Using Ojon oil from the rainforests of Central America, this natural products helps to restores shine and body to damaged tresses.
To maintain that moisture, look for a repairing conditioner and a serum if you’ve got split ends.
* Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment Plus, €43
* Ojon Full Detox Detoxifying Shampoo 250ml, €27 ( www.boots.ie )
* Bumble and Bumble Mending Conditioner 250ml, €35.50
* Lee Stafford Breaking Hair Split Ends Serum, €12.99 ( www.boots.ie )
SAVE OUR SOLES
“Wearing thin-soled, unsupportive shoes creates stresses on the foot that increases the creation of hard skin.
"Also, wearing mules or sling-backs can create a ‘slapping’ of the feet onto the shoes, that again, creates callus and dry, hard skin,” explains expert podiatrist Emma Supple, who advises using Flexitol Heel Balm twice a day, rather than harsh “cheese grater”-style files, which can exacerbate the problem.
And if one too many gel manicures or dips in the sea have left you with flaky fingernails.
“Oil every day!” says celebrity manicurist Michelle Class.
“By using cuticle oil daily, you will help to stop flaking, brittleness and flexibility by hydrating them.”
For really gnarly nails, Class recommends booking an IBX treatment: “This two-step process uses UV light to fuse together the layers of the nail plate. It works wonders, instantly plumping and strengthening nails.”
* Nails Inc. Vitamin E Cuticle Oil Pen, €16 ( www.debenhams.ie )
* IBX Strengthening and Repairing Treatment, €20 available at nail salons nationwide
* Flexitol Heel Balm, €7.99 ( www.Boots.ie )
SMOOTHE YOUR BODY
If you’re peeling or have noticed more dry patches than usual, there’s nothing more effective than a daily slathering or two of body lotion, so why not make your post-shower ritual all the more appealing with something gorgeously scented?
New from Jo Malone, Cologne Intense Body Cremes are fomulated with uber-moisturising samphire extract and come in four striking scents, including the heady Velvet Rose & Oud.
Following the success of its bestselling frangipani Monoi oil, Elemis has launched a Sweet Orchid variety, which smells like a tropical island holiday in a bottle.
Swiss brand Ananne has recently debuted a citrus-fragranced shea butter and moringa seed oil-packed Sericum Body Lotion.
* Jo Malone Cologne Velvet Rose & Oud Body Creme, €80 ( www.jbrownthomas.com ) n Elemis Sweet Orchid Monoi Body Oil, €30.45 ( www.lookfantastic.com free p&p)
* Ananne Sericum Body Lotion, €33.70 ( www.ananne.co.uk plus p&p)