Brendan Grace's son-in-law has spoken of the comedian's illness and his willingness to return to the limelight.
Frank Gillespie called Liveline to tell Joe Duffy that Brendan wanted to thank all of his fans for all their well wishes since the news broke that the comedian is receiving treatment for lung cancer.
"The amount of cards, phone calls, people enquiring - we're just inundated with everything," he told Joe.
"Brendan is battling away and he just wanted to let his fans know he loves them all out there, he knows everything that's going on and he's getting all the wishes."
From every part of the world, people are calling us and sending us wishes so we just wanted to get back and say a big thank you to everybody.
He thanked Joe for the "special card" he sent to his father-in-law also, which really perked him up when he read it.
He said that Brendan loves receiving mail in the post as much as he loves to send it.
"If Brendan wasn't a comedian, he'd be a postman because he's always mailing something out to people."
Frank told Joe that his father-in-law has been in hospital for the last couple of weeks where they are doing "wonderful work"
"We want to thank all the nurses and doctors and everyone who is looking after Brendan. They're giving him the best of care," he said.
He said that Brendan is fighting to get back to performing and that this is "just a little setback" for him.
He said that he has all of his family around him including his wife Eileen and that he still has his humour, making everyone else laugh and making sure they're all okay.
The following of Brendan's upcoming shows have been cancelled:
- July 6 - Abbey Hotel Ballyvourney - Ballyvourney
- July 12 - Blarney Woollen Mills Hotel - Cork
- July 18 - Listowel Arms Hotel - Co. Kerry
- July 19 - Hibernian Hotel - Mallow, Cork
- August 2 - Crover House - Mountnugent
- August 8 - Castle Dargan Hotel - Sligo
- August 9 - Diamond Coast Hotel - Co. Sligo
- August 22 - Mount Wolseley Hotel Spa and Country Club - Co. Carlow
- August 23 - Ashdown Park Hotel - Gorey