It also brought a lot of national media coverage for Macra and for Know Your Neighbour Weekend sponsors ESB Electric Ireland, and for The Wheel.
But it isn’t over yet. Know Your Neighbour Weekend evens started on June 10, and some will not take place until September.
Still to come are:
* Mitchelstown Macra’s fundraising barbecue tomorrow in An Bodhrán, King St, Mitchelstown from 9pm. Proceeds go to club member Karen Ryan for her work with the Belarusian Orphanage Project, which she will join in Belarus next month.
* On Saturday, Oíche an Pharóiste takes place at 8pm in Dún Chaoin, Trá Lí, Co Chiarraí. It’s A social evening with music and dancing for all the residents and visitors.
* Also on Saturday, there’s a Know Your Neighbour event at Aspen Gardens in Limerick city from 4pm to 8pm, organised by the residents association.
* Freemount Macra revives the region’s traditional field evening, promising something for all the family next Sunday in Moses Roche’s field
* Also next Sunday, there is a family fun field day in aid of the Waterford Kidney Association at 2pm in Lenihan’s Bar, Newtown, Kilmacthomas, Co Waterford. Kilmacthomas Macra members have been involved in planning the event.
* Banteer Macra’s barbecue is on July 31, at 9pm in Crowley’s Pub, Gortroe, Mallow, Co Cork. Plenty of food and DJ are lined up.
* Kilmoyley Macra’s field evening is on Gerard Collins’s farm, Kilmoyley, Co Kerry, on August 7.
* Mitchelstown Macra’s second annual soapbox race on August 27 at New Square in the town, starting at 2.30pm.
Everyone is welcome.
For more information, see www.facebook.com/MitchelstownMacra or contact Clodagh at 086-8961861.