Rosé on the rise but white wine still most popular - report 

White wine is the still extremely popular, accounting for 48% of wine consumption, its pink counterpart is increasing in popularity making up 6% of the total wine bought in Ireland.
Rosé on the rise but white wine still most popular - report 
Chilean wines are the post popular in Ireland, for the sixth consecutive year. Stock picture.

The Wine Market Report found that while white wine is the still extremely popular, accounting for 48% of wine consumption, its pink counterpart is increasing in popularity making up 6% of the total wine bought in Ireland. That's a significant increase from this time four years ago when the summer drink had just a 3% share of the wine consumed here. 

Wine is Ireland's second most popular drink after beer, with a 27.2% share in the drinks market. Chilean wine is still proving a hit with Irish consumers, with an estimated 27.5% wine market share for the 6th successive year. Spanish wine was second my popular at 14%, followed by Australian at 12.8%. 

The report shows that 83% of the wine bought here comes from off-trade, leaving 17% purchased through pubs, bars and restaurants.

Ireland has the highest excise on wine in the EU, with €4.87 from a €9 bottle going to tax, €3.19 of which is excise. In 2019, the excise receipts for the wine sector in Ireland was valued at €378m. 

 

More in this section

Lunchtime News Wrap

A lunchtime summary of content highlights on the Irish Examiner website. Delivered at 1pm each day.

Sign up
Revoiced
Newsletter

Our Covid-free newsletter brings together some of the best bits from irishexaminer.com, as chosen by our editor, direct to your inbox every Monday.

Sign up