Update: A number of women caught up in the Cervical Check scandal due to issue legal proceedings this week

Update4.40pm: A number of women with advanced cancer who were caught up in the CervicalCheck scandal are due to issue legal proceedings in the coming week.

It comes as the husband of a woman who died from cervical cancer last summer, reveals that his wife had received two false negative results before her death.

Irene Teap is one of 17 women who died after receiving incorrect results.

The Sunday Times reports that Stephen Teap was informed by the HSE last Tuesday about the details of his wife's case.

Meanwhile, thousands of women are seeking re-checks as roughly 11,000 women contact the HSE emergency helpline.

The IMO's Dr Padraig McGarry says that will take time - but GPs all over the country are rising to the challenge.

"It all doesn't have to be done in the first week - it can't possibly be done in the first work - and is not something that has to be done in the first week. I think women should be aware of that," said Dr McGarry.

"If they have concerns they can contact their practice and access the practice nurse of the GP.

"I think they shouldn't be sitting alone concerning themselves and worrying about it unduly. Get the reassurance that we can give them and hopefully it will give them the assurance they need."

- Digital Desk

Earlier: 10,731 women contact HSE helpline with CervicalCheck concerns

10,731 women have contacted the HSE'S emergency helpline with concerns over CervicalCheck and thousands of women have asked for re-checks.

The HSE confirmed last night that it has returned 1,406 calls so far.

It also said it has contacted 198 of the first group of 209 women and families affected by the controversy.

The Irish Medical Council says it has reached agreement with the Department of Health on the resources needed to deal with the fall out.

The IMO's Dr Padraig McGarry says GPs are determined that women are reassured.

"There's the repeat smear which is offered to patients who feel that they need it, but there's also the consultation around that because there's a lot of questions that women would like to ask their GPs and get reassurances and that's a time requirement," he said.

"We are delighted to see that this paves the way for women who have such concerns to access them without any financial burden."

Advertisements also appear in national newspapers today advising women to access cervicalcheck.ie for advice.

- Digital Desk


Related Articles

Anger at cancelled meeting on CervicalCheck scandal

Health Minister publishes Implementation Plan for CervicalCheck recommendations

Woman with terminal cervical cancer will 'fight until last breath' for gagging clause ban

Vicky Phelan providing funds to pay for €2,000 test for women seeking access to ‘wonderdrug’

More in this Section

UK and Romanian nationals head the list of foreign nationals allocated PPS numbers in 2017

Gardaí making further inquiries into death of man, 65, at his Meath home

'I had no choice': Mum had son prosecuted for arson to get him help for mental health problems

Making a difference to millions of lives - Ireland's community heroes honoured


Lifestyle

Unmasking Limerick's newest masked rapper

How to stop tensions boiling over this festive season

Decorating your house for Christmas? Here's some advice from three Irish interior designers

A look back at the 10 big stories form the year in music

More From The Irish Examiner