Graham Linehan thanks Free Speech Union after police apology over arrest
Graham Linehan speaking after he had his conviction for damaging the mobile phone of transgender activist Sophia Brooks overturned following an appeal hearing on May 1. Picture: Madhuri Karia.
Father Ted co-creator Graham Linehan has thanked the Free Speech Union for their support after the Metropolitan Police reportedly apologised for “shortcomings” over his arrest for social media posts about transgender issues.
According to The Daily Telegraph, a report from the force’s directorate of professional standards said the “service provided was not acceptable”.
The 57-year-old Irish comedy writer was arrested by the Met Police at Heathrow Airport, after flying in from Arizona in September, on suspicion of inciting violence over three posts he had made on X.
He announced in October that the investigation into his posts had been dropped.
Early on Monday, he reposted a link to the story about the apology with the message “Thank you for everything” to the Free Speech Union.
The Telegraph said none of the officers involved in Mr Linehan’s arrest would face any sanction and that Scotland Yard planned to change how it handled high-profile hate-crime allegations.
Read More
The paper reported Inspector Matt Hume from the Met’s directorate of professional standards said in the report into the arrest: “I accept that the service provided was not acceptable and recognise the distress and impact this matter has caused Mr Linehan.
“I apologise to Mr Linehan for the shortcomings in this investigation. The Met Police remains committed to lawful, proportionate policing and to learning from failings when they arise.” The Metropolitan Police and Free Speech Union have been approached for comment.
The arrest sparked controversy, with Conservative politicians and Harry Potter author JK Rowling among those who criticised the arrest.
Mr Linehan was cleared of harassing transgender campaigner Ms Brooks with a series of social media posts before and after an incident outside the Battle Of Ideas conference in Westminster on October 19 2024.
He posted on X at the time he was cleared: “With the aid of the Free Speech Union, I still aim to hold the police accountable for what is only the latest attempt to silence and suppress gender-critical voices on behalf of dangerous and disturbed men.” A conviction for damaging their mobile phone was also overturned on appeal.




