Stephen Colbert says TV interview with Democrat pulled amid regulatory fears
US talk show host Stephen Colbert has said his interview with a Democratic politician was pulled from Monday nightâs broadcast amid TV network fears it would violate regulatory guidance from Donald Trumpâs government.
Colbertâs statements about his interview with Texas Senate candidate James Talarico overshadowed the start of early voting for primaries in the state that feature a heated race between Mr Talarico and representative Jasmine Crockett.
Colbert said lawyers for TV network CBS said in âno uncertain termsâ that Mr Talarico could not appear on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert broadcast because it feared violating guidance from the Trump administration on giving equal time to political candidates. Colbert nevertheless interviewed Mr Talarico for nearly 15 minutes and posted the video on YouTube, because online material does not fall under the equal time rule.
âThen I was told, in some uncertain terms, that not only could I not have him on. I could not mention me not having him on,â Colbert said. âAnd because my network clearly doesnât want us to talk about this, letâs talk about this.â
CBS disputed Colbertâs account, saying its lawyers only âprovided legal guidanceâ that broadcasting an interview with Mr Talarico could trigger the FCCâs (Federal Communications Commission) equal time rule.
Ms Crockett expressed scepticism about the âmaniaâ playing out on the first day of early voting, âwhich feels kind of convenientâ.
Both Mr Talarico and Ms Crockett have built national profiles through viral social media clips as media organisations have navigated around changing broadcast guidance issued under Mr Trump governing how they interview political candidates.
Mr Talarico posted a nearly minute-long clip of his interview with Colbert on X, calling it âthe interview Donald Trump didnât want you to seeâ. During the interview, Mr Talarico said he thinks Mr Trump is worried that Democrats can win the Texas seat.
This is the interview Donald Trump didnât want you to see.
— James Talarico (@jamestalarico) February 17, 2026
His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert.
Trump is worried weâre about to flip Texas. pic.twitter.com/BCev5jZbKc
âThe administration was playing politics and was trying to control what a late-night show puts on air, something thatâs never been done before,â Mr Talarico told reporters during a news conference on Tuesday in Austin after he voted early. âThe executives at CBS were willing to go along with it.â
Ms Crockett suggested that Colbert could have avoided an issue with the FCC by having her on the show, as he has in the past. Both she and Mr Talarico also have appeared on ABCâs daytime show The View.
She told reporters after voting early in Dallas that she still was looking into the situation but added: âIâve done Colbert a number of times. Iâve done The View a number of times. Iâve done (Jimmy) Kimmel a number (of times). Iâve done all of these shows a number of times.â
Broadcast networks have been required to give equal time to political candidates, but that rule has not traditionally been applied to talk shows.
In January, the Federal Communications Commission issued new guidance warning late-night and daytime hosts that they need to give political candidates equal time. FCC chairman Brendan Carr, who was appointed by Mr Trumpâs administration, questioned the talk show exemption and posited that hosts were âmotivated by partisan purposesâ.
The public notice said the FCC had not seen evidence that talk shows would qualify for an exemption from the rule for âbona fide newsâ. Mr Carr has often criticised network talk shows, suggesting last year that probing The View â whose hosts have frequently been critical of Mr Trump â over the exemption might be âworthwhileâ.
Colbertâs days as host are limited, following CBSâs announcement last year that it was cancelling his show this May for financial reasons.
But the timing of that announcement â three days after Colbert criticised the settlement between Mr Trump and Paramount Global, parent company of CBS, over a story on current affairs programme 60 Minutes â led two US senators to publicly question the motives behind the move, which served to remove from air one of Mr Trumpâs most prominent and persistent late-night critics.
Meanwhile, Mr Talarico and Ms Crockett are hoping to avoid a May 26 runoff by capturing at least 50% of the Democratic vote in the March 3 primary.




