Children among four killed in shooting at birthday party in California
Picture: First responders at scene of a mass shooting in Stockton, California on Saturday. Picture: Ethan Swope/AP.
Four people were killed and 10 were wounded in a shooting during a family gathering at a banquet hall in Stockton, sheriff’s officials said on Saturday.
Heather Brent, a spokesperson for the San Joaquin County sheriff’s office, said the victims included both children and adults.
Early indications “suggest this may have been a targeted incident,” Ms Brent said during a news conference at the scene.
Local officials said the suspected assailant has not been caught and pleaded with the public for help. Detectives were still working to identify a possible motive.
“If you have any information as to this individual, reach out immediately. If you are this individual, turn yourself in immediately,” San Joaquin County District Attorney Ron Freitas said during a news conference.
The shooting occurred just before 6pm inside the banquet hall, which shares a parking lot with other businesses.
Stockton is a city of 320,000, about 40 miles south of Sacramento.
The shooting took place at a child’s birthday party, Stockton’s vice mayor Jason Lee said in a Facebook post.
“I am in contact with staff and public safety officials to understand exactly what happened, and I will be pushing for answers,” he said.
Police said they received reports shortly before 6pm of a shooting that occurred near the 1900 block of Lucile Avenue in Stockton, about 50 miles east of San Francisco.
Authorities did not immediately provide additional information about the condition of the victims.
Officials said earlier that several people were taken to hospitals.




