Man dead, woman hurt in London shooting

A man has died and a woman is in hospital following a suspected double shooting.

Man dead, woman hurt in London shooting

A man has died and a woman is in hospital following a suspected double shooting.

Emergency services were called to Lordship Lane in Wood Green, north London, at around 5.45pm today.

Police said the man died at the scene at around 7pm.

The woman has been taken to an east London hospital, where she is in a critical but stable condition.

A local business owner who witnessed the incident told ITV News he believed the victims were shot from inside a car.

Haydar Alma, 42, who owns a nearby Polish shop, said: “I was in the shop working and I heard the gun, like an automatic. I looked outside and I saw the car and the window open and somebody shooting.

“After they had gone I went outside and I saw the woman. Somebody called an ambulance.”

Mr Alma said passers-by rushed to help the victims, and he was asked to get tissues to try and stop the bleeding whilst they waited for emergency services to arrive.

He said: “The ambulance took the woman and did something for the man here. I asked the policeman what had happened and he said he had died.”

The male victim was tonight identified locally as 42-year-old father-of-two Erdogan Guzel.

Friends could be seen sobbing at the police cordon a few metres from where he was fatally gunned down.

The incident happened just outside the Bros Bakery where Mr Guzel would often sit, eye witnesses said.

Imam Sumbul, who is a friend of the man’s cousin, said a similar incident happened at the end of June in which a gunman tried to open fire but failed to discharge his weapon before fleeing.

Mr Sumbul said: “He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“The bullet was not meant for him.

“There is a big Turkish community here, everyone uses each other’s shops. As you can see, a lot of people here are interested in what happened and want to know what went on here tonight.”

A friend of Mr Guzel, who asked not to be named, said: “He was always on this street, he lived nearby.

“He was a good guy.”

He said Mr Guzel has two children, a son and a daughter aged between 15 and 16, who are currently on holiday in Turkey.

One eyewitness, who was in a fish and chip shop near the scene, said he saw the aftermath of the incident.

He said: “I saw the woman and turned away. Then I heard the bang.

“She fell down on the floor. There was a child on a bike and he was lying on the floor as well.”

The road is expected to remain cordoned at either end tonight, with buses diverted away from the scene

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said no arrests had been made.

Forensics officers continue to work at the scene.

More in this section


Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox