Convicted murderer sought after schoolgirl's disappearance

Detectives have revealed that a Latvian builder they are searching for in connection with the disappearance of British schoolgirl Alice Gross is a convicted murderer.

Convicted murderer sought after schoolgirl's disappearance

Detectives have revealed that a Latvian builder they are searching for in connection with the disappearance of British schoolgirl Alice Gross is a convicted murderer.

Fourteen-year-old Alice was last seen on August 28, when she was spotted on CCTV by the Grand Union Canal in west London.

Detective Superintendent Carl Mehta, from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, today named Arnis Zalkalns as a suspect after he was seen on CCTV around the tow path where Alice went missing.

Mr Mehta said that the 41-year-old had been convicted of murder in his country and was also arrested on suspicion of indecent assault in the Ealing area in 2009.

Arnis Zalkalns

The officer said: “The conviction was in 1998 and he served a custodial sentence of seven years.”

Mr Mehta said no further action was taken against Zalkalns over the indecent assault allegation, which involved a 14-year-old girl.

He also insisted that police have no evidence suggesting Alice has come to harm.

“This is not a murder inquiry in the sense that we don’t have any evidence or information to say that Alice is not alive,” Mr Mehta said.

Zalkalns was seen on CCTV cycling along Brentford Lock at 4pm on August 28, 15 minutes after Alice walked the route.

Detectives believe he is likely to have seen Alice as they were both going north along the canal towpath.

Since Zalkalns was last seen at his home in Ealing on the evening of Wednesday September 3 he has not accessed his bank account or used his mobile phone. His passport was left at his house.

His friends and family have told police that his disappearance is out of character.

Mr Mehta said Scotland Yard was liaising with authorities in Latvia but Zalkalns is not thought to be wanted by police there.

Asked if he posed a threat to the public, the officer said: “I think given what we are finding out about his antecedents and his history, clearly he potentially poses a risk to the public.

“I would ask if anyone sees him not to approach him but to immediately dial 999 and contact the police.”

A reward of up to £20,000 is being offered for anyone who has information that leads detectives to find Alice.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox