Boston Marathon suspect charged

A federal grand jury has returned a 30-count indictment against the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Boston Marathon suspect charged

A federal grand jury has returned a 30-count indictment against the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was indicted today on charges including using a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a place of public use, resulting in death.

Three people were killed and more than 260 injured in twin explosions near the finish line of the marathon.

Tsarnaev’s older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed following a shootout with police on April 19.

Authorities say the brothers used shrapnel-packed pressure cooker bombs in the bombing. They are also accused of killing an MIT police officer.

The US attorney’s office says 17 of the charges against 19-year-old Tsarnaev could bring life in prison or the death penalty.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured hiding in a boat. According to the indictment, he wrote messages on the inside of the boat that said, among other things, ``The U.S. Government is killing our innocent civilians'' and ``We Muslims are one body you hurt one you hurt us all.''

The Tsarnaev brothers had roots in the turbulent Russian regions of Dagestan and Chechnya, which have become recruiting grounds for Islamic extremists. They had been living in the United States for about a decade.

Authorities said each brother placed a backpack containing a shrapnel-packed pressure cooker bomb near the marathon finish line. The bombs went off within seconds of one another.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox