The right-wing extremist who confessed to a massacre of 77 people in Norway compared the pain he caused the families of his victims to his own situation today.
He said he lost contact with his friends and family after the attacks on July 22 last year.
Anders Behring Breivik showed no remorse as he continued his shocking evidence about his shooting spree at a political youth camp on Utoya island.
Calling the rampage “necessary”, Breivik compared being shunned by those close to him to the grief of the bereaved, saying: “The only difference was that for my part it was a choice.”
Breivik has confessed to the bombing and shooting rampage but rejects criminal guilt, saying the victims had betrayed their country by embracing immigration.
Even the defence admits there is no chance of an acquittal, so the key issue to be determined in the trial is whether Breivik is criminally insane.
The self-styled crusader apologised to the family of a pub owner who was among the eight people killed in the blast outside the government offices in Oslo, saying it was not his intention to kill “civilians.”
Prosecutor Stein Holden asked him if he wanted to express a similar apology to the families of the other victims, including the 69 killed on the youth camp on Utoya island.
“No I don’t,” Breivik said. “Utoya is a political indoctrination camp.”
Speaking calmly, Breivik said he used a handgun to kill victims if the distance was less than 10 metres. Otherwise he used his rifle.
Asked why he spared one man who survived the shooting spree, Breivik said he thought it was because the man’s appearance made him look “right wing-oriented.”
“When I looked at him I saw myself,” Breivik said. “I think that was the reason that I didn’t fire shots at him.”