A Nato airstrike has killed 14 people – all women and children – and wounded six in the volatile south-west Helmand province.
Dawood Ahmadi, a spokesman for the provincial government, said today that the strike took place in Nawzad district.
He said Nato was targeting insurgents there late on Saturday but instead struck two civilian homes, killing two women, five girls and seven boys.
According to Mr Ahmadi, the strike followed an insurgent attack on a US Marine base in Nawzad earlier on Saturday.
A Nato spokesman, Major Tim James, said he was aware of the reports of civilian casualties in Nawzad. He said Alliance and Afghan troops are inspecting the site and will release additional information later.