Low-flying plane stunt 'a mistake', says Obama

President Barack Obama today described as a “mistake” a photo opportunity staged by the White House in which a low-flying plane skimmed New York’s skyline, provoking memories of the 9/11 attack.

President Barack Obama today described as a “mistake” a photo opportunity staged by the White House in which a low-flying plane skimmed New York’s skyline, provoking memories of the 9/11 attack.

The jet, which serves as Air Force One when the president is on board, spent half an hour circling the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan’s financial district yesterday morning, leading to concerned office workers evacuating buildings.

Speaking today, Mr Obama, who was unaware of the stunt until after the incident, vowed that it would not happen again.

Sources in the White House have previously indicated that the president was “furious” on learning of the ill-judged photo-opportunity. New York mayor Michael Bloomberg called the stunt “insensitive”.

The idea behind the photo opportunity was to capture the Boeing 747 with a historic landmark in the background, in this case the Statue of Liberty.

It was carried out by the Defence Department, but officials have been criticised for not giving enough notice to relevant authorities in New York.

The director of the White House military office, Louis Caldera, yesterday apologised for the ill-judged photo op.

He said: “Last week, I approved a mission over New York. I take responsibility for that decision.

Mr Caldera continued: “While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it’s clear that the mission created confusion and disruption.

“I apologise and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused.”

The flyover took place at about 10am on Monday morning. The Federal Aviation Administration had informed the New York Police Department of the plans to fly the jet at around 1,500 feet above lower Manhattan. But it said that the information should not be released to the public or the media.

As a result workers began to leave buildings at the time of the flight, concerned of a repeat of the September 11 attacks which destroyed the World Trade Centre in 2001, resulting in the loss of about 2,750 lives.

One of those kept out of the loop was Mr Bloomberg, who has since been heavily critical of the stunt.

Mr Bloomberg said: “Why the Defence Department wanted to do a photo op right around the site of the World Trade Centre catastrophe defies the imagination.

“Poor judgment would be a nice way to phrase it. Had I known about it, I would have called them right away and asked them not to.”

Likewise, Mr Obama was not told of the plans.

Speaking to reporters today he said: “It was a mistake, as was stated. It was something we found out about along with all of you and it will not happen again.”

More in this section

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited